Which Thera-band® Flexbar Do You Use for Tennis/Golfer's Elbow?

ToddL

• Baller

Started with a Green flexbar. Hurt like crazy last year when I was using it due to golfers elbow issues. It must've helped because up until a week or so ago, I hadn't had any issues at all this year and have skied a lot more. I'm currently using the blue one this time because I let a friend borrow my green one when he started having problems and I didn't want two of the same thing when I eventually (hopefully) got it back.

Having used the blue one for about a week, I prefer the green one.

• Baller

In the PT clinic we Never solely treat symptoms rather we find the cause. Using these bands means you are not stretching icing or taking the time off you need. Your cause can be treated with x-friction massage, nerve and tendon glides, wrist flexor and extensor stretching and ICE. Iontophoresis with Dexamethasone in short cycles is very efficacious as well! If your PT clinic uses ultra sound to treat this go some where more up to date on evidence based medicine.

The cause is:

Muscles stretch, tendons do not. The 'itis' is a tendon that is being pulled on by a super tight muscle that by design is very efficient at telling you to stretch it. Placing a bolster to help anchor the muscle to the bone will help suppress the symptoms but cannot address the cause- a tight forearm flexor for the inside and extensor if symptoms present on the lateral or outside of the elbow. Stretching and icing for 10-12 minutes till numb will address the 'itis' and provide rapid healing. Address the cause and the symptoms will disappear.

• Baller

There should be a qualifier to the video - In the acute phase of healing these exercises will light up your symptoms. Re think this with me. The muscle is tight and pulling on a tendon which does not stretch. Do you want to restore the elasticity of the muscle via gentle stretching and icing OR,.. work it more creating increased tension on the already pissed off tendon? They should add 'do these in that advanced stages of healing'.

Once a patient is able to strengthen without symptom aggravation(advanced stage of healing) we would use these in the PT clinic. The eccentric method of release is good for muscle fiber recruitment. Always think timeline; when there is an injury it is in the acute or sub acute stage of healing. If the irritant is not re introduced it moves along a physiological timeline into sub acute then advanced stages of healing. If your will surpasses rational informed thinking and you keep up a known activity that flares you up you bounce back and forth between acute and sub acute stage of healing never really healing. In comes PT where we can hopefully monitor when to introduce an exercise like this with out exacerbating the 'familiar symptoms'.

My apologies to the OP, @ToddL, my comments in the previous post were mistakenly thinking you were referring to the band that goes around the elbow. I did not realize you were referring to the above useful tool.

• Baller
All I know is last year I had golfers elbow bad enough that I skipped skiing sessions because it was so sore. Bought the blue Flexbar, did the exercises and reps as prescribed with the instructions that came with it, eventually worked out the tendonitis and it was all good. Worked for me.

• Baller

@cragginshred your videos are tremendous! Thanks so much for sharing them.

2 things, 1, what theraband exercises work best for medial golfers elbow pain? I get it bad when I'm skiing with bad technique and too much slack. (Im doing your exercises shown above too)

2, you should look into making a "slalom skiers most common injury healing and prevention exercises" video. I would pay good money for such an item!

If the meantime I hit the star button and keep them as favourites.

Thanks for your contributions, they make a difference.

• Baller

@Gary, thank you for the encouragement! The forearm flexor stretch and icing are the two best methods. Some folks could be getting entrapment of the ulnar nerve ( cause: super strong and tight forearm musculature from gripping the handle which is pressing on the ulnar nerve ) which presents with numbness in pinkie and ring finger or radiating pain in that case you would want to do ulnar nerve glides too which nourishes the ulnar nerve with blood flow. My video above covers it with a basic glide but do an 'ulnar nerve glide' search on YT and others will come up.

As for the most common injury, it seems like the achilles and ankles seem to be the buggers most commonly injured. I can do a video with some 'outside the box' ideas for sure!