Advanced Topics 2.0

Horton

• Administrators

I apologize in advance for the length of this post.

As the owner and admin of this site I am always looking for ways to increase the quality of the conversation without discouraging the all of the basic fun banter.

The idea of the original Advanced Topics was to allow the most knowledgeable skiers to have conversations for everyone else to read. I believe that more advanced conversations would stay on topic and more good information will be written if those few topics was limited to the smartest guys.

Would you rather listen to Mapple, KLP and Smith or Mapple, KLP, Smith, MS and 20 other Radom Ballers? If I ever heard Mapple, KLP and Smith talking tech, I would simply sit down and take notes.

I am planning a second try with a different set of rules. Again the bottom line is to make a section of the forum that is more focused and more on topic. Below is my current idea:

Anyone who has filled out their whole profile can contribute. If you are not willing to share your level of skill and your name you will to be able to contribute. I understand that ball count does not always equal knowledge but most of the time it does. I rarely get good coaching from guys that run 12 balls less than I do and I always listen to guys that run 3 or more balls than I do.

The category will be more heavily moderated. Off topic posts that are derailing the thread will be moved to another thread. Obviously I am not going to scrutinize every post but when a good thread goes bad I will simply move the off topic posts.

Before I make this happen please feel free to comment but please keep in mind the goal is to foster more technical conversations. The goal is a better BallOfSpray.

• Baller
I like it @Horton. I like to sit back and learn by seeing what is said by these guys and I also like the opportunity to just pop in and ask a question (on topic) or for clarification of something that they have said. I hope it plays out as intended.

• Baller

@AB I agree with you, but on the other hand I would be more likely to seek coaching from someone who contributes here. When I read something from Marcus or Seth here that just sparks my interest in getting coaching by one of them. To me its free advertisement for your business.

As having owned a small business before, I think may be that they just don't have a lot of spare time. Something like that is a 7 day a week commitment. You have to save a little time for the wife and kids.

• Administrators

Hey so I am now thinking that "maybe" I may apply the heavier moderation to appropriate non-ski tech threads also. I mean if it is a semi serious conversation about skis or water chem or what ever would I be mistaken to move the goofy comments on to a thread for goofy comments?

I am not talking about more than a small fraction of the threads of the site. Just the few that really have value and that should be kept on topic.

• Administrators
I am trying the [Moderated Thread] idea for now. I really want to get back to a Advanced Topic concept but I can only take so much hate mail per day :-)