Erika Lang Pending Trick Record 1/2 Speed

Horton

• Baller

@Horton ?? 1/2 speed video of a trick run is not only wrong but illegal for use in judgment. Anyone viewing this will get a skewed view of her run. A large part of the beauty of her run is the speed she controls. Perhaps it will make the run look better, perhaps some artificial form breaks will magically appear. I don't know and I didn't watch the slow video. There is a good reason that you must judge at full speed. And practice judging needs to be at the same full speed. Slow motion does not belong in trick viewing.

If you want to see slow motion tricking, watch me ski at full speed.

Eric

• Baller

@Horton I'm not worried about the record. She skied it as well as possible. Politics not performance is all that can deny the record.

A slow motion view bothers me. The slow motion distorts what the skier is really doing. Because we are judged only in real time, that is what we should see. Erika's pace is about twice mine. At half speed her tricks will look quite different than the way others at full speed look - even when there is no real difference. Possibly her tricks will look different enough that either she or I will get unfairly cut - because it doesn't look like the slow motion.

Unfortunately my experience with judges who watch lots of slow motion has borne this correlation out. For pure entertainment, OK. But for those aspiring judges, watch in real speed. Horton, please at least post the proper speed video in this thread as well.

Eric