2 Sets On The New Vapor Boot

ozski

• Baller

So about a week ago I unboxed my new Vapor boot. I've been really impressed with the Radar Profile boot to date, the decision to upgrade was based more on a "because I can" logic than any other reason. I've been running regular sets into PB territory on the Profile boot and can't fault it in any respect.

First impressions of the Vapor is that it looks like a slightly lower cut than the Profile and of course the "Boa" system looks pretty trick. What i was hoping to get from the Vapor was a better connection to the ski with the Boa and possibly a little more edge control & efficiency.

First set I did not bother with heating the liner or the inner sole thingy, I have a size 9.5 foot and opted for a size 10 boot. Perfect fit. Coming from my well used old boot to the new boot the comfort was certainly not as good, Vapors are stiffer and not as well padded as the more "universal" Profile boot. No big deal, the boot is new so its like a new shoe vs old shoe so its going to take some break in.

Despite the very different and stiffer feel I'm confident I can go straight out and run some buoys. I proceed to ski straight past 1 ball at -28 as the ski refuses to turn my onside.... Hmmm, lots of room before I reach the end of the lake so I pull out and try it again and again the ski refuses to come around. Huh, I'm going to have to run -28 again to see if I can get this ski to turn. Better results and I run the pass but it does not feel pretty, shorten to -32 and I run a half decent gate but get slightly out of shape at 2 ball and take a swim. Run a pretty decent -32 next pass. Is more or better edging power the correct term? That's pretty much what I felt but more sets needed.

Back home I heat molded the liner twice and the comfort factor went up a notch, next set is much better and I run down the line easily, the ski certainly feels better through the wakes but I still need a few more sets to get my feel back. After 2 sets I'm really impressed with the quality but what I'm feeling with this boot is a definite performance gain, another nice Radar product.

A couple of additional comments, I removed the optional stiffeners and replaced then with some padded foam (I think you guys call them "coolers") because I have smaller ankles and next set I'm thinking of using a sock in the liner because it felt so comfortable when I was doing the heat molding.. Can't hurt right?

• Baller
Moving into winter here but conditions are pretty good and I've managed to rack up a few more sets on the Vapor boot. I've stuck with the "custom" padding rather then the stiffeners and I'm comfortable and confident in the boot now. Can't say enough positive things about the BOA system and I hope it stands the test of time. I did ski a few sets wearing a heavy sock but found that it did move inside the boot a little so I'm back to bareback for now. When I lace the boot at the top I don't cross them which allows more forward "flex" I feel, not sure what other skiers do but I like the way it feels and will continue to run with it like that.

• Baller
I recently went from Animals to Vapors and had the exact same thing happen at 15 off....ran right past the ball and could not make the ski turn. After a couple of sets I am adapting to the boots but am tempted to go back to the Animals for a while since it is also a new ski.

• Baller
This is funny. I have been using a Strada front and RTP since 2008. I have a "backup binding" on hand, and it is a Vapor. I thought I'd switch to the new binding when I got my new Denali. Skied it once, and couldn't turn at all on my onside. Same as @ozski. Then put my old binding back on it and felt great. I realize I will need to put a new binding on sometime (the old one has been in use for 3 full seasons now), but it will absolutely take some getting used to.

• Baller
They also feel completely different when they are broken in. I've had Stradas, and three sets of Vapors. I keep an old set on my travel ski. When I switched to the 2016's at the start of this season, they were actually uncomfortable when compared to the ones I've been wearing the past three seasons. The old ones were like a comfy old sneaker. Fast forward one month, and the new ones feel fantastic. Just ski em