2008 LXi vibration issue

rfa

• Baller

Sold my '08 LXi last summer to a friend...drove it it again last night and noticed a peculiar vibration in the 15 - 25 mph range. that boat was always "smooth as butter", so i was intrigued...since the sale, the boat had two incidents: a prop ding (not major) and an overheating issue with weed intake (boat went to limp mode). the prop on the boat now is a refurbished prop that my friend had previously (visibly looks fine). engine sounds good, runs smooth. besides a bad prop, bent shaft (unlikely), misalignement, any thoughts/experience what might trigger this vibration behavior? I could feel it on the floor, steering wheel and pylon.at that 15-25 mph speed. at course speed very smooth.

One other point he told me that may/may not have relevance...he used the boat several times on open/rough water puling a tube...could some wave action have loosened up something?

I would have tried revving the engine up in neutral to see if something related to the engine but the '08 LXi does not have a "neutral", so could not do that,

any thoughts much appreciated

• Baller
Take the prop off the boat and lay it on a flat surface. Do it on both sides and rotate it 90 degrees just in case your flat surface isn't truly flat. If it rocks back and forth on the same 2 tips of the prop on either side, then it's not a good rebuild and will vibrate.

• Baller
Check to make sure the prop isn't bottoming on the Woodruff key. If the prop is not properly seated on the taper, you can get a lot of vibration out of a good prop. You might also consider lapping the prop to the shaft to ensure a good fit. Just google "lapping a propeller" for an explanation. Other than that I would suspect the prop. Find a known good prop and install to see if the vibration goes away.

• Baller
I think you've covered all the possibilities. Prop is the most likely culprit. Is it a CNC machined prop? It's tough for the average prop shop to get those right, no matter how good it looks.

• Baller

Interesting - might be worth checking with your dealer to see if this recall was done on your boat.

Bulletin ID: SB062608-9

Date: 6/26/2008

Bulletin No: 9

Affected Models: All 2008 Models Except Ride Series, Response and Response LX

Subject: ZF Ski Command potential loss of shifting capabilities

Condition:

ZF Marine has discovered the ZF throttle and shifter control has the potential to fail creating a loss of shifting capabilities in the forward or reverse direction in all 2008 model boats excluding the Ride series, Response and Response LX.

Action Required:

While the failure rate has been determined to be less than 2 percent, Malibu Boats must insist that any boat using the 2008 shift by wire system should not be used until the unit has been repaired or replaced by a certified Malibu technician. ZF Marine and Malibu Boats will be utilizing their entire team of technicians for this component recall and we anticipate a resolution by 4th of July weekend.

• Baller

Can't find a picture but this description should be correct for a DD

On the passenger side of the boat will be a small round solenoid that sticks out, near the top of the transmission. On top of this is two connectors - identical to a fuel injector plug if you are familiar with them. These clip on and off with a simple wire spring clip. The outer connection is for reverse, the inner is for forward.

• Baller

@oldjeep I actually fell victim to that shifter issue on my 08 vtx about 3 miles from the launch, storm approaching, dealer closed that day, (had reverse) finally found how to bypass the electric shift in the manual, which keeps the boat always in gear even when you turn over the engine, makes for an interesting experience to load. The dealer actually went through 4 or 5 shifters before the tech found one he liked.

@rfa from personal experience, if the prop isn't perfectly balanced it will cause vibration, and it doesn't take very much (1/4 oz )

• Baller
Thank you all! Replaced the prop with the one i had on boat when i sold it. small ding but never refurbished. Much better. i also found some pylon vibration when in neutral. However, engine does not shake at all...very smooth...not sure what's making the pylon vibrate...put my hands on the motor mounts and no vibration at all. Pylon is tight...strange!