Radar P6 Binding placement

Ski_Dad

• Baller

Hi Guys, Free skier here. Tried my new 69" P6 out a few times. Easy to get up on for sure and i can tell it's a faster ski when i put it on edge.

But the line tension is 50% higher than on my 67" Connelly Shortline ski (based on Outlaw shape but less rocker). They appear to have about the same surface area, but i had to speed up 2 mph for the Radar to feel right.

i had the boys take a few shots of me and it seems that I'm riding very tail heavy. I moved the front binding forward one hole and it made a some difference.

What should I be doing to get the ski riding more flat and less line tension ? Do i move the rear binding forward too ? where should the water be breaking on the ski in pre-turn

here is a pic of the 2 skis and also a pic of where the binding were before I started.

ghji39zoz4px.jpg

zwlbpz5je7ce.jpg

• Baller
Hi @Mitzysman I bought the same setup for a buddy who hadn't skied in 40 years. The heel of the front binding should be 31 inches from the tail of the 69" P6. Remove rear binding. Measure from the stitching where the footbed and the heel upper are joined. Yes move the rear binding to as close to the rear of the front binding as fits comfortably. I tried the ski several times to see who it felt and it was very east to get up on and ride, even at slower speeds. No drag and very easy on the body so first get the bindings where they should be and then work on fixing your body position. Have fun!

• Baller

thanks Baja, that was good info :) I measured my ski with binding at center hole it's 30-7/8. It's 31-1/4 one hole up. My boot is a Vector so I don't know if that accounts for anything.

So far I've tried

-- all center holes - feels tail heavy but most stable

-- front boot up 1 hole - feels better but back foot feels disconnected and i kept on lifting it.

-- both boots up one hole (wow that was unstable - feel like I was going to fall forward constantly)

I guess I wonder if I'm too big for this ski - I was 220 last summer my goal weight was 210 this year but I'm around 228. I'm actually in great shape though - worked out all winter.

• Baller
At roughly 230lbs, you're probably pushing the weight limit of that ski in the course but for free skiing, you'll likely never know the difference. Moving the front binding even 1/8" makes a huge difference. So moving from one hole to the next sounds like it's 3 times that. You could slot the binding holes if you care enough. Being that you're on the heavier side of that ski, my recommendation would be to push both bindings back a little bit to 31" or even 31-1/8". IMO, this will give you the confidence to turn in and cross the wake with good form.

• Baller

There is no doubt that the 71" ski will be better suited to you. However, I have a hard time saying you "need" it especially since you aren't in the course.

Your front binding is basically plastic and so is your rear binding. Take a 3/16" drill bit and drag it from one hole to the next and slot those things so you can move the bindings where you want them. You could do it a little prettier with a razor blade but either will serve the purpose. I did it to my rear binding and it's been going for 3 years.

• Baller

i put the bindings back to the default locations and opened up my RTP laces a tad - i wasn't getting my foot in there enough - that little change made the ski much better for me the last 2 times out.

Who knew something that little was causing me issues. I was able to keep my weight more balanced and could relax. Still might consider the 71 so I can ski longer.

thanks guys !

• Baller

just an update - as mentioned i messed with my rear toe plate opening and found a good spot for my rear foot and it helped balance out the ski for me.

Still was not able to ski more than about 5 minutes at a time without hands giving out. And I wanted to slow down a bit to cope with the large wakes I have to cross. So i ordered a 71" P6 at the advice of one of the Radar team members.

On the 71" ski i can slow down to around 26-28 so i can work on my turns and wake crossings. It seems to turn just as easy as the 69", but I don't have near the drag !

still planning on dropping 25 lbs by next season and getting back on my 69" ski. But i feel this year, this bigger ski is gonna help me get better.

new ski is 1/8" wider in tail and 1/4" wider underfoot

8taxuk0hxzsk.jpg