Older Perfect Pass for Dummies

Orlando76

• Baller
My ski partner gave me a used PP Digital Pro for my '93 carb'd fresh 351 HO PCM. I have mixed emotions about installing it. I have a single line display, master module, display cable, throttle cable and a carb plate bracket. What else do I need? I guess a power cable to module, rpm cable, servo motor with mount and cable. Where does the PP get its speed from? There's no paddle wheel, obviously no gps, no timing magnets. Do I set the speed initially with a gps then it bases speed from there with RPM?

• Baller
Very old PP used pitot tubes for speed. However you didn't need speed input. PP is an rpm based system. You set rpm in order to achieve proper time for the given speeds. So,you need a smart timer also.

• Baller
you will need the wiring harness and rpm cable and servo motor. Depending on your motor and where you can mount it you may need a new throttle cable too. It could be too short. Perfect pass sells all the stuff you need. could get a bit pricey but I would guess you could get all of that for about 300 bucks. Way better than hand driving.

• Baller

You will need use the hand timer if no magnets&smart timer; little more work and can be less accurate but no magnets needed and easy to set the baselines.

The instructions to set baseline speeds are in the applicable manual but you will need a timer to set the base rpm at all speeds.

I'd recommend getting a multiline display as its easier to use and can be upgraded to stargazer.

At the end of the day stargazer is by far the easiest to use and won't cost too much more.

• Baller_
@Orlando76 : I suggest you go through several of the installation and user guides on the PP website, there is a lot of good information that will answer your questions. Go through several of them to find the one that helps you the most. You will find that you do not need (although you may want) the paddlewheel, magnets to make the system work. You can one stop shop for anything you need at PP, find used ones or even make the cables yourself.

• Baller

I think I'll give up on the older system. Seems to me a few hundred more will get me a Stargazer and no longer fiddling with 20 year old electronics.

Wake boarding version or 3 event for another $200 clams? All I'll ever do is course ski, free ski and use it for cruise. Can the wakeboard version be upgraded with zbox? I should add that nowadays 70% of my skiing is behind a ZO boat but I'm no pro or competitor nor do I think I'll ever be near that level.

• Baller

After talking with Perfect Pass I bought the minimum parts to make the older system work. PP said if I bought the missing pieces and the older Digital Pro didn't work (which it used to), I could upgrade to SG "a la carte" for nearly the same $.

So tonight I'm going to install the module, screen, servo and associated cables. A smart timer will probably get installed next week if I buy a new EZ slalom. I noticed when I installed the servo and cable, when I throttle to WOT (carb'd PCM) cable spools out.... now I'm assuming the servo motor must spool it back in as I throttle down?

• Baller
Part of the reason I'm trying to stick with the Digital Pro is the guys I ski it really liked it, even when half the time they skied ZO. Once upgraded to SG with ZBox they could never get a good pull with it, so bad he sold the boat.

• Baller
Spoke too soon, evidently I didn't get a throttle stop. The throttle stop is just a clamp that goes on the existing teleflex morse throttle cable to stop the cable at WOT. Is this necessary? It's not like i can over extend the cable because the butterfly on the carb will stop at WOT.

• Baller_

@Orlando76, I believe with StarGazer you can still ski in Classic mode, which is the original RPM-based pull. Years ago, I couldn't get my SG to work properly and only ran it in Classic mode (see page 6 of the StarGazer 3 event manual). You get the benefits of GPS course mapping and virtual timing (no need for magnets or smart timer). I don't know if your friends needed to sell their boat. I only sold mine to get Zero Off, otherwise the SG in Classic worked great. I had the version that only required one gate magnet at each end and had virtual timing. The newer SG has the GPS course mapping and no magnets needed.

So, I don't think you need to be worried about the move to SG. There are benefits of the GPS, but the reassuring RPM-based option remains.

Properly tuned with the right Kx, Px settings (and, ideally, a slalom switch) you can make the old Classic mode PP somewhat similar to ZO.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_
One other benefit of SG, I never needed to install a paddlewheel (or pitot tubes), as none are required. Cutting that hole in the bottom of my boat didn't interest me in the least.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.