Transmission Fluid

walleye

• Baller
Not a big fan of high mileage trans fluid, it contains additives that can cause otherwise good seals to swell. Better off sticking with plain old dextron of whatever number your manual says. Typically it says right on the dipstick what the fluid requirement is. No idea if pcm does that.

• Baller
@jetpilotg4 I have the same boat and I use a drill pump from Overtons. I think harbor freight has them as well. Only takes 2-3 minutes to remove the 2 quarts of fluid. Make sure not to overfill when replenishing. Have used the same pump for 20 years now, no problems.

• Baller
Castrol Transmax Dex/Merc. Eric Lavine, former owner of Fantastic Finish Marine and probably the leading rebuilder of marine transmissions says to never ever run synthetic in a Velvet Drive or the PCM 40a which has been agreed upon by others as well as Second hand from PCM. Evidently Synthetic or anything labeled high mileage is too slippery for the clutches. Keep in mind the the PCM 40a originally was built for 20w oil to be used which has pretty much disappeared.

• Baller_
FWIW: my vessel has a 71C velvet drive & I prefer to run the hydraulic (tractor) oil as it reduces the "clatter" level of the trans at low speeds/idle. Seen a few similar comments to that effect & I have been happy with the Mobil offering.

• Baller_

Hi, yes stay away from any synthetic and never use any of the trans additives. PCM Series 40 transmission's use Dextron ATF , nothing special in fact we use the O'riley house brand here.

I have a SS 1/4" tube rigged to a oil transfer pump and pump out the fluid. The series 40 takes right at 2 qt's. Do not over fill.

@DW yes the Borg 71/72 can use motor oil usually 30W. however for higher rpm usage the preference is ATF.

The Hurth v-drive transmissions also use 30W oil.