• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

Prediction for final review notes:

Conclusion

The 2016 Vapor is an evolutionary design that will never prove to be too much for some skiers but magical for skiers with or without the right skill set.

• Administrators

I'm pretty careful about what I say early in the review. I'm always afraid of the honeymoon effect and misconceptions. I felt something so odd (in a good way) in the first couple of rides that I had you call @Chris Rossi and ask him.

Apparently it's not crazy to describe this ski as being "springy". More on this as a review continues

• Administrators
@jcmccavit I will not change in the middle of a test period. When I get the chance if I can get a set of boots out of radar I would love to try the new stuff

• Baller
@Horton - BTW, sometimes when one pulls up a BOS thread, then gets distracted by something like work tasks, then comes back to complete their post, in the meantime unbeknownst to them other posts have occurred. I swear those posts by @Jordan and you didn't exist on my screen when I pushed the Post Comment button.

• Administrators

I took my 4th ride on the ski yesterday (16 rides to go). One of the things I love is how little I have had to think about the ski. What I mean is that so far it has just been easy to ride.

If I had to guess one of the themes of the final review it would be "Refinement". The darn thing is not crazy in any one part of the pass. It just seems to do it all well. The darn thing is just flowie.

As always there are 16 rides to go and I reserve the right to totally change my mind between now and then.

• Gold Member

I can't help but think it would be a lot easier for folks to pick a ski if there weren't so many darn ski companies doing such a good job!

With all the skis being so great now, I find myself more interested in the relationship. Not sure if anybody else is in that mindframe, but if so it might be just as useful to review the experience as the ski results.

• Baller
I think @Horton has a different relationship with all ski companies than the rest of us. I am not implying that we can't all get good responses from ski companies as witnessed by the participation of folks from Radar, HO and Denali among others here at BOS. Horton does have more direct access to people at all companies than most of us do though.

• Administrators
@Chef23 I admit I have an inside track to some factories and consider some of the people who work there to be friends. I also might engage in more "chit chat" but I get the same settings and advice any Baller gets. Guys like @Chris Rossi are accessible to help everyone with set up.

• Baller

I agree with a couple of things said here. I haven't ridden close to the variety of skis OB1 has, but there are a lot of great sticks out there right now. You just have to set out the parameters that you want the ski to meet then find that "one".

I also agree that the Vapor doesn't have any one thing that stands out. I mean that in the most positive way possible. It's not like "Wow, what a turn... but it's a dog across course" or the opposite where it's super high speed/low drag but the transitions in and out of the turn are sketch. It just does it all and does it all well. It guess it's... flowie.

• Baller
It's a German sports sedan, then. Performance numbers are great, yet quiet, smooth and refined when you want it to be in a way that can only be felt by the user...not told about. It's that something that separates them from other sports sedans with similar performance numbers, and that something that makes them more usable than a sports car...I digress.

• Administrators

I am 6 rides in. @Chris Rossi had me move my bindings forward 1/8". These settings might be a tiny tiny bit less flowie but when it is time to rock it is for sure better.

I had by far the best ride of the year yesterday - 5 @ 38. This is really my level. In years past I have run plenty of 38s but rarely is it a sure thing. 5 is less then what I want but considering I did not ski last year I have to be happy. I fully expect 38 to happen soon and then to happen a bunch on this ski.

• Administrators

@gavski I recommend you start with the fin and binding settings I posted above. From there I went forward one tenth of one inch. Unless you're getting the 38 off you might like the original settings better.

You better off getting feedback directly from @Chris Rossi. Anything you get from me is 2nd hand from him anyway

• Baller

I tried the numbers you used @Horton. Ski was shutting down before I got to ball, couldn't get through 22off. Moved the wing to 8 degree and ran some nice passes. Might be the difference between a 28off vs 38off skier plus the water has been bathtub temps lately.

With that setup I'm carrying much more speed through the turn than before and no tendency to overturn and put the brakes on. I guess flowie.

• Baller
@gavski, with 9 deg the ski just seem slower over all compared to the other settings I had tried. I would slow down to the point I couldn't get around the buoy. Instinctively I was rocking back some on the ski to get it to carry out more which then was causing to get on the tail out of the turn. I'm on a 67" by the way. My offside turn didn't seem quite as automatic with 8 degree wing and those numbers but I need some more sets on it.

• Baller

@gregy. Thanks for the explaination....very interesting...i have been running these settings apart from the dft at 0.735. Ski feels awesome on my goodside, but a little less automatic on my offside - i expect to run 35'@36, and atleast get 3-4 @38....

Have reset the dft to 0.748, but not yet had a chance to ride it...@Hortons setup for the 2014 vap set my ski on fire - it only took 18months, a suspected broken front ankle, 3 binding changes (animal-strada-reflex) and countless hours and $$ on coaching/ fin tweaking before i found them here on BOS....i was about to throw my ski in the trash - it couldn't be my crap skiing...Set @Hortons numbers - BOOM!! Back into 38' - ski saved from the trash can..

6months on, i have the new vap, and i want to avoid the 18months hardship. Tried stock Rossi & Rini - and very keen to follow @Horton's setup...

• Baller

@horton...just tried the new setup - dft moved to 0.748 - everything else unchanged...WOW... My offside turn has retuned...i am still getting used to the 'cutting down' modifications to my Supershell, but i am feeling confidant that this will be a positive change...

The only other tweak that i have incorporated is a washer under the RHS middle screw of my fin clamp - thanks To the Denali team. I have pretty much managed to equalize out the the FD's on both sides of the fin...i don't think i need to reduce the FD any more on that side as my 1-3-5 (LFF) feels awesome.

@horton - why did @rossi get you to move your binding fwd by 1/8"??

• Administrators

@gavski what i told @Chris Rossi was - "ski was amazing on early passes but at my hardest pass it was finishing too abruptly at off side".

It did not make sense to me but the small move forward totally fixed it.

• Baller
@Horton - good to know... Just cruising around at 32'of todayf.. Will keep a eye on my offside into 35&38'... With dft@0.735 i had to concentrate hard on my offside - it just didnt feel like the ski would finish the turn as well as my onside..