Does Rocker create drag or reduce ?

Ski_Dad

• Baller_
Rocker will cause a ski to have more drag than one with no rocker due to the fluid passing over a curved surface. That is not the complete story as stiffness will also play a factor as a soft ski will dynamically rocker due to forces applied from the skier. In addition, surface area will be a large contributor to ski drag. Actually, an excellent question.

• Baller

Rocker is just one factor in the design of a ski. It is quite important. Small changes in the placement and magnitude of the rocker can change a lot of the skis feel. Other parameters can offset rocker effects.

You can't tell how a ski will feel or if it has more or less drag by just looking at the rocker (or tunnel). Ski design is magic - you have to ski a ski to really feel it. I've been very surprised many times with counterintuitive performance from things I've tried.

Eric

• Baller
@eleeski I think you are right there is some magic involved that's over my head. Looking at my Dad's green obrien ski from the 80's is positive proof - he used to rip on that baby and it looks so different to modern skis.