Reflex modifications

gavski

• Baller

Any ballers out there have any experience with modifying the Relfex Boot? Specifically, making cuts/ notches between the buckles in order to soften the boot slighly. The goode powershells have this modification incorporated...

I have been advised that the supershell boot is a little too stiff for me - too much leverage...

• Baller

How long have you been on the the supershell. Its took a week or so for me to get used to the extra tip sensitivity even from black top to Supershells. I ended up moving my binding back for a few weeks and then back forward as I got used to it. That said one thing I've noticed, I have a really narrow, flat foot which allows the upper cuff to rotate forward fairly easy. If you have a wide foot with a high instep this will restrain the upper cuff from rotating forward.

I went from rubber to black top reflex, then to Supershell. The transition to Supershell was the hardest. I almost gave up on them, but glad I didn't my skiing has never been better since and my ankles feel much better than normal. I'm using the intuition aqua liner with a insole other than that its stock.

• Baller

Be aware that the release may change. The stiffness of the lower shell is an integral part of the release. Soften that up and the release settings will change.

I used a softer shell with my Reflex setup. I cranked up the settings to the max and still had some pre releases tricking.

I did hate hardshells for slalom until I tried the cut down shells on a Fogman. I loved the softer shells I ended up using for slalom. Get the performance you want and figure out the Reflex settings to make it work.

Or use Gatorade releases...

Eric

• Baller

Been on the supershell since last october...initially i had 'aligned' the boot to my foot/ lower leg. Straight off, the boot felt amazing - i came from strada boots. Apart from being more responsive, the boot felt balanced - i felt none of the rubber-hardshell transition issues...

However, my coach never liked my modifications - long storey.....

So 4 weeks ago, i bought the new vapor - and relented to the constant pressure about my modificationns - so i returned the boot to standard....i had to relearn how to ski the boot - and the new ski.

I am now in a happy place - ski and boot feel good (back into 38@36mph), but 'coach' still thinks boot is a little too stiff and unforgiving - unlike the goode powershell system. So, he recommended cutting the boot down a little etc....

@eleeski, the change in the release dynamic is a nagging concern...

Any advice much appreciated..

• Baller

@gavski I have been using that shell for two years now. I think that it is far more flexible in the upper part than either the reflex or Powershell. If the side to side response is too much, trim down the part above the hinge bolt that is inside the cuff. If the cuff is too high, trim the area above the cuff buckle. See @Than_Bogan boots for that mod. The bottom foot bed of that shell is very thick and strong. The Powershell feels more forgiving because the shell actually rolls side to side more than the Reflex system because the Reflex boot is locked in at a higher point due to the latch on back.

My new MOB system release will feel more like the Powershell system and can use the Powershell boots on it. Product should be available later this month.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

The mods so far:

1. Cut down the height of the cuff - about 1 1/2".

2. Removed the white heal cup.

3. Fitted a 3mm heal raise.

The boot feels more like the strada/ vapor boot. My ankle is much freer laterally and the boot feels more balanced...

I may end up re-fitting the heal cup, but at the time (just installed the 3mm heal raise) it created too much leverage on the ski....very unforgiving laterally...

Compared to the PowerShell, the boot is still very rigid. A byproduct of the plastic i guess....@mmosley899 - thanks for the advice...

Oh, and i replaced the crap G10 plate

for a metal one... No more buckling/ cracking or warping....

xfdbasbotgn7.jpeg

• Baller
@gavski The Powershell feels more forgiving because the shell actually rolls side to side more than the Reflex system because the Reflex boot is locked in at a higher point due to the latch on back. @MattP has another mod to his boot, cut between the buckles. Maybe he can share a photo...

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

@gavski I have a slot between the two lower buckles. For me I think this does two things. 1. it allows independent tightening of each buckle over the different areas of the foot.

2. it allows the boot to flex a little more. Keep in mind with a reflex style release this mod could possibly change the boot's stiffness which is a part of the release system. I know @adamhcaldwell has moved away from this mod but other skiers like @Deanoski have used it for years.

There are many more mods that myself and others have done to these shells to make them more skiing friendly. Remember they were designed as a rental ice skate shell.

t99iiiyid9lf.jpg

• Baller

here a pic of my boot with slots between 1-2 buckles lowered lower shell and lowered upper cuff Been using reflex boots for 8 plus yrs never had a prelease always released when needed. I just dock test it 1- 2 times are yr. I also heat the boot up and flatten the sole. that's huge IMO. If you don't flatten the sole you are toe high and some skiers will use a heel lift to get balance x08yipjl3mys.jpg