Spain with a side of skiing @ Sesena

andjules

• Baller

Just got back from a one-week getaway in Spain.

An easy half-hour's drive south of Madrid (also about a half-hour from beautiful Toledo, where we stayed, and 10 minutes from the lovely town of Aranjuez), you will find Sesena Waterski & Wakeboard Center, owned by Ricardo Botas and his family. The site hosts the next Big Dawg (July 2-3) and hosted the senior worlds last fall. Ricardo is a very fun character, completely fluent in english, great coach, and an international driver. His wife owned the Spanish record until their daughters overtook it a few years back, and Ivan Morros is also part of the team (PB into -41). They have a beautiful oasis of a site.

Sets are €38 (about $42 USD). Can't say enough nice things about them.

Depending on airfare deals, Spain can make for a fairly affordable getaway, is pretty easy to navigate, and has something for everyone (except maybe vegetarians). There are a few other ski facilities around the country, as well. If Florida doesn't appeal to you or your SO/family, or you'd just like a change of scenery, I highly recommend.

• Baller

Been there.

Can not agree more.

Made my pb at Sesena.

Fyi.

Train direct from the Airport to Aranjuez is type 5 usd approx 70 minutes.

Taxi from Aranjuez to is 30 usd.

If you stay in Aranjuez you can bike type 7 miles to the site.

They is a cheap almost decent hotel close to airport on the train line.

A bit industrial area but close to the centre.

• Baller

Grwqt timing and excellent review.I've been considering a trip to Spain and had looked up the Botas site.

I would not want to spend all my time in Madrid but more importantly my wife would want some sunny oceanside time.

For the non-skier family members what if any amenities are close by and how is the driving around there?

I think ideally we'd spend a few days in Madrid at the beginning and end of the trip, thanks

• Baller

@wtrskior I was in a similar boat: Spent 3 days in Barcelona before heading to the Madrid area (via high-speed train, then renting a car). Went with my sometimes-girlfriend, who is not a skier.

- note that there is a ski club north of Barcelona, a touch inland from the costa brava:

Xavi Mill

- I found the driving easy (a little tricky in downtown Madrid), and I don't speak Spanish. The only challenge is (overnight) parking in Madrid can be challenging, but I found these garages and made reservations. Worked out pretty well because my AirBnB was only a 10-15m walk. Otherwise you're looking at €20 for overnight for downtown Madrid.

- As mentioned, Aranjuez is within about 10 minutes, a small-but-pretty town with a royal summer palace and beautiful gardens. There is also a so-so outlet mall and a fairly big amusement park nearby. Better yet, as mentioned, both Madrid and Toledo are within 30-40 minutes. Toledo is beautiful, safe, easy (if hill-y). Madrid is stylish and cool. Depends what your wife likes. We did a bit of both.

- Because the skiing is only 30-ish minutes out of the way, I'd leave my girlfriend in town and make my own trip to the lake. She had no trouble filling the time in either Toledo or Madrid.

I thought I'd hate not being on the coast, but was pleasantly surprised. If you need, book a Madrid hotel with a pool. I used AirBnBs in both Toledo and Madrid and was happy. Valencia is also only a few hours away by high-speed train if you want to go to the nearest coastline.

• Baller

I believe Sesena closes December/Jan/part of Feb, although Ricardo suggested that even in those months, the water never really drops below 60º.

On the other hand, Francisco Simoes' school/club (outside of Lisbon, Portugal and only €32/set) doesn't close, if you're interested in skiing off-season in Southern Europe. I was there last November. It was certainly cool, but still easily skiable in a shorty.

I don't know if Sesena has a windy season, but one of the days I was there was fairly windy and the lake held up pretty darn well. It can be rainy in April/May but apparently it's the kind where it rains for an hour, not all day.

• Baller

I have only been there one weekend.

Two years ago when season in Stockholm sort of ended.

Sweden is not the perfect year around place to ski. Normally three months of solid water.... so we have a bit un normal base line for what is considered great skiing conditions (no ice. Water above freezing. Not to much snow in the air. Wind waves below 10" etc).

Sesena can ski year around. However if I have understood correctly they close type late November and open in March.

I think they told that they personally ski some times during that period so ask if you can join?

They have 2 parallel lakes. Both were well protected.

Wheater conditions in Europe is normally less stable compared to us.

No hurricanes....

Madrid get some wet snow every 10th year. Check stats for Madrid. Guess that will be close enough.