Fedex ignores "handle with care"

Wayne

• Baller

So my wife was very sneaky and ordered me a new Radar Senate Graphite for my birthday. It showed up today but the box was just kind of laying about 3 feet from our garage and half way off the drive way into the flower bed. I thought ok, no big deal, it's windy today and probably blew over.

On further inspection there are two perfect foot prints on the box, one in the middle and one over the fin. The box looked like it was bent in half and had a cut where the fin poked through.

Of course I take pictures of everything before opening the box and inspect the ski. It has a nice nick in the fin and a scuff on top from the one boot print. I filed a claim with the vendor and should hear back tomorrow but gees FedEx, it says "handle with care" in huge black lettering down one side of the box. I could understand a crumpled end or something but two perfect foot prints on the same side of the box screams of deliberate mishandling. Especially since they were right on the words "handle with care".

I know we have a lot of airline mishandling stories on here, anyone else have ski equipment get damaged before you even get to try it?

• Baller

YUP! Once the US Postal Dis-Service cracked the first Four inches off my 2012 HO S2. Ski was destroyed. There was no recourse either, as the box had no visible damage before I opened it.

Another time, I was trying to send a ski to another baller in England. Paid a hefty sum for the US Postal Service to ship it across, only for them to decide they cant find the address and sent it back to my local hub. They wouldn't refund anything, because, they shipped it all the way there... and back again.

• Baller

YUP! Once the US Postal Dis-Service cracked the first Four inches off my 2012 HO S2. Ski was destroyed. There was no recourse either, as the box had no visible damage before I opened it.

Another time, I was trying to send a ski to another baller in England. Paid a hefty sum for the US Postal Service to ship it across, only for them to decide they cant find the address and sent it back to my local hub. They wouldn't refund anything, because, they shipped it all the way there... and back again.

• Baller
Most Fedex drivers are independent contractors. I think some really don't care and it seems Fedex has little recourse. I've was having problems with almost every Fedex delivery for a while last year. After a new driver came to the area its been a complete turnaround.

• Baller
Most Fedex drivers are independent contractors. I think some really don't care and it seems Fedex has little recourse. I've was having problems with almost every Fedex delivery for a while last year. After a new driver came to the area its been a complete turnaround.

• Baller
When I ship my skis I build wood boxes. I use 1/2" pine for the sides and 1/8" plywood for the top and bottom. I glue and nail the sides and bottom and screw the top on. After that I use shipping tape and tape all the edges. I clearly write "Handle with care" all over the box. I've used USPS for years and until lately have had no problems. Recently that changed and two times they somehow managed to tear off the end of the box. I will give them credit because both times I filed insurance claims they settled with no questions. I even got the check fairly quickly.

• Baller
When I ship my skis I build wood boxes. I use 1/2" pine for the sides and 1/8" plywood for the top and bottom. I glue and nail the sides and bottom and screw the top on. After that I use shipping tape and tape all the edges. I clearly write "Handle with care" all over the box. I've used USPS for years and until lately have had no problems. Recently that changed and two times they somehow managed to tear off the end of the box. I will give them credit because both times I filed insurance claims they settled with no questions. I even got the check fairly quickly.

• Baller_

Yep, I had a ski on the way a few years ago and got a message from the rep and said "FedEx broke your ski!". He shipped another one and all was well.

In reality, the amount of shipping damage we see today is remarkably small. Yes it sucks when it happens to us, but in the big picture, the majority of items arrive safely with no damage. FedEx is probably one of the better shippers, but they naturally get more complaints simply because they do so much volume.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller_

Yep, I had a ski on the way a few years ago and got a message from the rep and said "FedEx broke your ski!". He shipped another one and all was well.

In reality, the amount of shipping damage we see today is remarkably small. Yes it sucks when it happens to us, but in the big picture, the majority of items arrive safely with no damage. FedEx is probably one of the better shippers, but they naturally get more complaints simply because they do so much volume.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
I remember a couple of years ago when @Chad_Scott came to Okeeheelee for a weekend, the airline ran over his ski case with the baggage cart breaking the ski (if I got the story right). Don't know how the airline handled it.

• Baller
I remember a couple of years ago when @Chad_Scott came to Okeeheelee for a weekend, the airline ran over his ski case with the baggage cart breaking the ski (if I got the story right). Don't know how the airline handled it.

• Baller

U People Suck destroys as much or more than FedEx. Their hubs are notorious. I'm in the business - I hear the stories. But for the most part, they both do a tremendous job considering the volumes going thru their respective systems. They both tend to screw their customers on price/accessorials. But, that's just part of the game.

"Most Fedex drivers are independent contractors.." Only some of the ground drivers. Express drivers are all employees.

• Baller

U People Suck destroys as much or more than FedEx. Their hubs are notorious. I'm in the business - I hear the stories. But for the most part, they both do a tremendous job considering the volumes going thru their respective systems. They both tend to screw their customers on price/accessorials. But, that's just part of the game.

"Most Fedex drivers are independent contractors.." Only some of the ground drivers. Express drivers are all employees.

• Baller
I don't understand why my packages from Fedex arrive in the Orlando area 30 miles SE from my house, then the following day ship to their north location 30 miles NE from the other location, about 15 miles E of me. Then the following day it ships to my local PO and the day after that it ships to my house via USPS. It takes 5 days to ship from 1800 miles away but 3.5 of the days it's no more than 30 miles from my house.

• Baller
I don't understand why my packages from Fedex arrive in the Orlando area 30 miles SE from my house, then the following day ship to their north location 30 miles NE from the other location, about 15 miles E of me. Then the following day it ships to my local PO and the day after that it ships to my house via USPS. It takes 5 days to ship from 1800 miles away but 3.5 of the days it's no more than 30 miles from my house.

• Baller
@Orlando76 - that is a service call FedEx Smartpost. It travels in the FedEx network to your "local" USPS DDU - then, injected into the postal network for ultimate delivery. All that roundabout was probably the USPS system - not FedEx. It's a 5-8 day transit time. UPS version is call SurePost. Same theory.

• Baller
@Orlando76 - that is a service call FedEx Smartpost. It travels in the FedEx network to your "local" USPS DDU - then, injected into the postal network for ultimate delivery. All that roundabout was probably the USPS system - not FedEx. It's a 5-8 day transit time. UPS version is call SurePost. Same theory.

• Baller
@Orlando76 Its called fedex smartpost and ups calls it surepost. Its for larger volume shippers and saves them money on shipping. They subcontract part of the delivery process to the post office. Saves them money. But takes longer to reach its destination. And has people who are tracking there package say WTF

• Baller
@Orlando76 Its called fedex smartpost and ups calls it surepost. Its for larger volume shippers and saves them money on shipping. They subcontract part of the delivery process to the post office. Saves them money. But takes longer to reach its destination. And has people who are tracking there package say WTF

• Baller_

I think the FedEx guy watches and wait's till I leave for lunch then tries to deliver!!! UPS has a regular delivery time for us and that is right at 3:Pm.

Never had anything destroyed by the Brown Hot rod truck in 10 years but have had a few items show up not so nice condition from USPS and the EXFED...

• Baller_

I think the FedEx guy watches and wait's till I leave for lunch then tries to deliver!!! UPS has a regular delivery time for us and that is right at 3:Pm.

Never had anything destroyed by the Brown Hot rod truck in 10 years but have had a few items show up not so nice condition from USPS and the EXFED...

• Baller
I have a feeling USPS did the final delivery in my case. Regardless of who had it, the two perfect foot prints on it tells me that individual just didn't care. They are probably size 11 or 12 boots too, I talked to the vendor again today. They are waiting for FedEx to process the claim before they ship another ski. I made it clear I wasn't interested in taking the risk of just putting a new fin on it. I didn't see any cracks in the ski but why risk it. A brand new ski is what was purchased, I expect nothing less on delivery.

• Baller
I have been with UPS for 25 years and drive semi. Unfortunately most damages comes from in the hubs of most carriers as jdarwin stated. So much volume is pushed through the hub and has to be done at a scheduled gate time to make service. Packages get stepped on sometimes because it's the only way to get out of a trailer or out of an area when flow gets backed up because of too much flow or a jam on the belts. Which happens all the time. Mountains of packages pile up. I know it sucks. I always tell people make sure you pack it like a brick you know what before you ship it.

• Baller
@foxriverat I can understand that but don't step on the package that says "handle with care" and especially don't step on the words "handle with care". It's like on airplanes where they put the "no step" sign.

• Baller
@Wayne Your exactly right. And I didn't mean to sound like stepping on a package was ok. I yell at these kids and young part time sups all the time about stepping and throwing packages. Most these kids are 18 to 25 years old making $10 to $12 an hour. And turnover is high cause there busting there butts. So there not going to fire any of these kids no matter how they treat a package. Not at all trying to defend them. Just trying to explain that's the nature of the beast with these big volume package companies. As far as fragile being written on box. There moving packages so fast and there prescanned. I doubt they even see that.

• Baller

@foxriverat sorry I didn't intend to seem like I was going after you. I've noticed a decline in the younger workforces' attitude. I just turned 40 but I noticed less drive in people that were 4 years younger then me when I was teaching freshman labs during my senior year in college.

Regardless I hope ski #2 makes it in tact. It's killing me to look at that thing sitting in the box.