Need good fin numbers for a 68" D3 X7

aupatking

• Baller

Hey guys, title should say it all. I got an old X7 to play with for length and some other curiosity, and when I got it, it had some crazy fin numbers, at least as compared to D3 factory numbers. I'm gonna soapbox in a second. Anyway, the numbers I got were 6.914 2.500 0.888. The "Recommended settings" are 6.950 2.520 0.790. I should have prefaced to say I'm not fin setting savvy, I find some numbers someone respected likes, try them, and if I like what the ski does, I work on me from there. I loved the ski. I went to put my sleeve with fin protector back on it and the fin moved, big time. I didn't realize it was totally loose, so I have no idea what the fin actually was at while I was skiing it.

SOAPBOX: Where do they come up with the "factory numbers"? I'm getting unhappy with D3, that at the "factory numbers" some of their skis are unskiable. I had a 68 Fusion, that when set to the published settings, was downright dangerous. I love their skis, but these numbers do not translate.

Soapbox over: someone please give some insight. I really felt fantastic on this ski, but I'm at a loss to know where to start with on this ski now.

I ski at -28 at 34mph.

• Baller
I've skied on just about everything Kidder, KD, and D3, from Hammer through Quest and always found the factory setting to be in the ballpark to start with and sometimes to stay with. To answer your question about how they come up with settings......that's one of the things their Pros and team skiers arrive at during R&D and early testing of new skis. Having said that, recommended settings don't suit everyone, but I would hardly think any of the settings would be dangerous. Maybe you should verify that your calipers are accurate.

• Baller

The guy that sold it to me didn't have them tight. Pushed them back immediately, set it back to the numbers it came with, and hoping that's right. D3 had nothing to do with the loose set screws. After using the Recommended settings on that Fusion, the fin was wayyy too long and deep. Those were the words of either Seth or Horton. That ski wanted to eject everyone who rode it at the second wake. I used Hortons numbers and that ski was like magic. The numbers posted for my Quest 45 were a lot closer. My not a 10 year old ski.

So, the question remains, any good numbers?

• Baller

I can't find any X5 settings. This may seem rediculous but I'm gonna offer up 66" RCX figures that if my memory serves me correctly we're very similar to the X5. Got it used from a D3 team member and said it was set based on tested numbers but not the same as factory rec.

Factory

How it came to me

After a few sets went to:

Eventually went to a Schnitz Speed Slot fin and was happier, but the above worked OK.

• Baller

Thanks again @LeonL. I looked again, and realize I misspoke. The X5 and X7 had some pretty big differences.

This whole thing came from me seeking some more understanding of these skis. I love every D3 I've put underneath my feet, and have been going back, trying different fin/Rockerblock combos to try to get a good feeling of what I'm really changing. So, when I picked up a cheap X7, in a size I don't normally ski, I was happy to play with fin settings. The X7 is in line, settings wise, with the Quest so I'll probably try something close to my Quest 45 numbers too, but for now, I'm going to start with the Fusion numbers, find something I like and work from there. I'm also buying @SkiJay book, so I understand more of what my little changes can do.