1999 Moomba Slalom Finals

ALPJr

• Members
I was living at Bell Acqua and skiing with Champion and Parades quite a bit '97-'99. Both were just super skiers. So cool to see a video of them skiing. Paredes would still make my all time top 5 skiers I enjoyed watching. Somewhere around the time of the '99 Moomba I drove the two of them in a "who can spin and run the most 38s in a row contest". I have forgotten who won, but both ran somewhere between 8 and 10 passes without dropping. It was hard enough to drive in that rough a water, let alone ski it when completely fatigued. They both did have the excellent "hold the handle between your legs like a jumper" technique from finishing one pass to pulling out for another so as to rest the upper body for 20 seconds. Along the same lines, Parades was also the best trick slalom (tralom) skier I ever saw.

• Baller_

That production quality and the multitude of camera angles is impressive. Wish they could get back to that level of coverage. But happy I can catch it live in real time.

Oh... and pretty hard to miss whether someone made or missed a gate. They are HUGE!!

• Baller

As a lefty it's fun to watch those guys. Champ and Paredes were both great skiers. There were a couple of years where Jason was ranked really high on the standings list. Like top 3-4.

Also agree about the broadcast. Really good stuff!

• Baller

I really enjoyed that tape.

Parades coached me at Bell Acqua when I was in college in the mid 90s. He really helped me learn a lot.Great guy, awesome skier. Champion occasionally drove for us and coached too. Nice guy too.

I'll never forget when they had the Marine World tournament in Vallejo and a bunch of the pros descended on Lake 1 to practice. I was pulling Lucky Lowe, Bruce Neville, while Paredes rode in the passenger seat and the next guy up was a college kid who was running -15 at 28 mph and those guys rotated right in as if it was nothing.

Great memories.