Tell me what to buy

netwinder

• Baller

Hello BallOfSpray Fourm!

I recently made a post about boat wake/weight and one of the points brought up was that I should invest in a modern ski. I started out skiing with an O'Brien Jr Celebrity but I outgrew it and I now use an older Taperflex slalom ski (not the wooden kind). I was told to make a post in regards to what ski to get, so here's some general information on what I do:

I don't skii at 36 mph, I skii around 30 or under. I'm a free skiier. I weigh 130 lbs, im 5'7 , and i'm fairly strong.

I'll be happy to fill in any missing information, thank you for your time!

EDIT: Forgot to add my budget. I wish to spend $200 - $300, but less is better.

• Baller
Call Performance Ski and Surf. Or check out their website for the 4th of July Super Sale. My recommendation would be an HO TX. They have a couple close outs at very nice prices. @perfski

• Baller

My 2 cents.

Look for a Radar Theory.

Above P6 and below the Senate.

My experience is that you will progress faster on a less advanced ski until you have a rather strong technique. That would be grow out of your ski.

When your technique is consistent go for a Senate with Carbon. You can the grow into that he ski.

The Theory can easily take you into 34 Mph 22 off.

Do not forget that bindings are important.

Bad bindings could hold you back more than the ski....

Please keep us updated on your progress.

Best luck

Peter

• Baller

For that price range, you will probably need to be in the used market instead of the new market, but that's just fine. Here is a senate with bindings for $300 that could serve as a good model of the type of ski you are looking for. The only reason this one might not work is that most people on here would probably tell you that it's too big for you. I wouldn't, because I like big skis, but most people here (and the radar catalog) would probably indicate 67" being a bit big for 130 pounds, even if you are only going 30 mph.

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Slalom&postid=37827

• Baller

Hello Again! An update: I got some photos of my current ski. Its not...entirely terrible? I rather like it. However do tell me if its a bad ski. I attached the images to this post.

I may also be able to get my hands on a maharaja ski, however the ski was modified in the past (they ground the bottom of the ski so that it could only turn, its close to impossible to not be on edge with it)

EDIT: Uploading photos still

• Baller

@netwinder, I agree with @ALPJr. The HO TX would be a great option. The Superlite version costs $900, and the regular is $450 (without bindings). This is a great ski at your speed and the 30 MPH world record holder uses the Superlite version. However, at 130 pounds, it may be a bit big for you. I weigh around 145 pounds, and it is too wide for me (my dad weighs a little over 200 pounds and it suits him perfectly; I imagine it would work at 175 pounds too). Again, great for 30 MPH (or a little slower based on your weight).

(Because of size, the HO CX might be better because it isn't as wide. I'm not sure of the price and have never skied on this, so you would have to get an expert opinion before choosing that option.)

• Baller

Thank you everybody for the helpful ideas! I attached photos of my current ski for the forum to criticize. Either way a few comments:

"Most skiers here are going to have access to boat with platform on back to stand while putting on ski (often requiring binding slime and a good tug to get them on). With standard boat you either are standing in boat to do that and then rolling over side of boat to flop in, or you're on the dock (easy) or deep water (near impossible with some bindings) to get your ski on."

Matter of fact with my current ski bindings the quickest way to get it on is liberally coating my foot in dish soap. Otherwise it is quite the process to slip on.

My foot size is a size 10 in mens shoes, I have no clue if there's a special water ski binding size.

"Buy another beer (or 6), think about it , and then just go ski. " Of course. Given that I'm 17 that sounds like a great idea. Maybe that will compensate for my bad form ;)

The O'Brien siege and synchro looks interesting, however one question: Why are they so cheap? I would expect a higher price (not that im complaining) but what loss is in those skiis versus a ho cx or a radar senate?

zbdjse811m8d.jpg

goieeq7di7q3.jpg

predn6me14is.jpg

31avz7yrz4eh.jpg

k3xtafx1fwx3.jpg