GPS Boat Lane tracker

OWSC

• Members

Developed in the UK this is a GPS based boat lane tracker. I have been using it for the last few months when pulling skiers. Instantly I felt it improved my driving and helped give the like of Freddie Winter and Tom Poole training before tournaments peace of mind that their scores are legitimate.

You are able to track your boat path in both slalom and jump in a simple to use app, the set up is simple and takes approximately the same time as mapping a course in zero off.

It’s the next step in tightening up our sport

http://www.sure-path.com/video.html

• Members

@Gloersen it’s an awesome bit of kit, super accurate and in jump you can set it up for split, 1, 2 or 3 foot wide or narrow, this will clear up a lot of confusion and provide consistency in the drive everyone receives.

@Gloersen @Jody_Seal depending on exchange rates etc it is coming in at around 2000USD, they are keen to get the product out there so this is an introductory offer.

• Baller
@Gloersen. Although the system could use a local radio modem as a link between base and rover (which could suffer from obstructions such as trees etc) we have found that using 3G/4G via an online server far more reliable. In addition, powerful radio modems can interfere with other transmitting devices such as are used for boat video in tournament.

• Baller_
On that webpage, the narrative for the video says that cumulative deviation is 27.5, but I don’t see that figure anywhere on the corresponding app display. I see 16.13 at buoy 6. How is the 27.5 figure determined?

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

@MISkier The deviation at each set of boat lane buoys is the figure in the middle of the horizontal black bars (only visible as it appears below the boat graphic). The figure in brackets next to it is the cumulative. The figures to the right are the timings at each set of buoys although there was a bug in this version of the software and the timings are not accurate. This has now been fixed and timings seem to be mostly the same or within 1/100th of a second to Zero-Off. We will be putting up an updated version of the video in due course.

@aupatking Yes, it is inevitable that things will progress towards using the deviation data to control steering in some way. Whilst that may seem scary at first, software can be made to be as skier friendly as the powers that be will permit, eg current speed control systems :)

• Elite Skier

This confirmed what I already knew - that Steve at @OWSC is as good as anyone in the game at driving.

Beyond that I see uses for this including giving drivers immediate feedback to improve themselves and skiers knowing the legitimacy of their practice pulls. However for me far and away the most exciting result of this system is the potential elimination of "aggressively helpful" driving in tournaments. No need for end course video with its many, many issues when the path is recorded right there in the app.

Perhaps the world ranking list can regain some of its legitimacy.

• Baller_

@Jtim3032, you are only showing the cumulative at buoy 6, correct? Are there plans to show it progress at each buoy? Let me know if I’m missing something, because it is a little hard to see in the video when the boat image in the app nearly touches two successive buoys simultaneously before the first buoy is revealed and scrolls away quickly.

Looks like a great app and solid solution. I hope to work on my driving with this feedback. Very innovative.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

@MISkier Yes it should have shown at every buoy but the text was too wide and "wrapped" to a second line thus becoming invisible. Now fixed.

With regard to general visibility, at the end of a pass, the boat graphic goes away and the user can scroll back through the pass and see where the breadcrumb trail was at any point in the pass.

• Baller
@skiinxs We have found that a 3G/4G link is far and away the most reliable way to link Base & Rover, plus the fact that there is no risk of interference with the already crowded RF needed for video links. However, as you say there are sites where there is no cell coverage and in those circumstances, a conventional radio modem link can be used.