New fin setting

Trickskier69

• Gold Member

I don't think we're really talking 5 degrees any more than 1 straw can break a camel's back.

But there is a threshold where skiing becomes more challenging. I find this to be somewhere in the 50s.

After some occasional attempts over the years to "fix" this with settings, I've mostly settled on just accepting that skiing in very cold water is more difficult.

Fwiw, fin guru @SkiJay is a strong proponent of tuning as well as possible for cold water because those will carry over to warm water much better than vice versa. I haven't personally verified that.

One thing I've definitely seen is that certain skis are more sensitive to water temperature than others. I absolutely loved my Nano One during the summer, but it was weird how much worse I would ski in late September and October on it.

• Baller

I skied my C-65 at the current settings in 75-80 deg F water and absolutely loved it as it just seemed to be extremely tolerant of virtually anything from water conditions to my physical performance. First year ever I did not change settings once I got into a zone back in early June.

Water temp yesterday was 54.5 deg F and I feel the ski now accelerates easier and turns are a little more finicky on body position. It now prefers a bit of wind ripple as opposed to glass as well.

I am not planning to change settings and learning how to deal with the performance difference to sharpen my skill set.

• Baller

@MDB1056 If cold water is faster than warm water. why has it been said, in other circles that running with less wing in colder water may be useful, like you I always feel cold water feels fast, which would suggest more wing, but apparently not, it was said to me that there is also more drag and to run less wing.

Anybody got a view ?