Ski tuning trend works for me works until it doesn't

Waternut

• Baller

So I've been skiing the course now for about 12 years and have been on 8 different skis in that time from the old MPD, variety of Radars, and D3's. Radar skis seem to suit me the best but this isn't a brand question, it's a ski tuning problem. As I was struggling with my latest ski, I started to dive back into old setups to see what has worked in the past. What I found was rather staggering... Every ski I've ever been on, I start with the stock recommended settings and through many changes, they have all ended up with the boots all the way back or very close to it and a short/deep fin setup. When I say short/deep, I'm talking very close numbers where all of the settings fall within +/- 0.005" from each other. So I put the current ski within that range and like magic, it started to ski fantastic. The ski was doing so good that for the first time since ACL surgery 3 years ago, I started getting into 35off again. 

Here's where the problem starts... Once I get into that magic zone with the fin where the ski feels fast, stable, and effortless, I start to blow the tail on my offside when I get late. Granted it only happens when I'm late and aggressively trying to get back in the game but it's not a friendly fall. I've got skijay's book on the fin whispering but I'm not sure where to go from here. Seems like the obvious thing to do is to move the bindings forward a little to help unload the fin but that usually makes me break at the waist and/or overload my back leg which happens to be my bad knee and I'll begin to wince from pain by the second set. 

Any ideas?   besides the obvious "suck less"...

• Baller

@Waternut Just a WAG here but like you I was always blowing the tail on my offside and toughest pass usually at 2 ball @ -35. Usually I was late and fast with high intensity, cuz this was my hardest pass. Gotta throw an epic turn mentality! Also, I was unknowingly really moving up on the front of the ski very quickly to bleed speed. When I did that I always popped the tail. Go back and analyze your skiing, maybe change your gate, pull out later, turn in earlier, reduce your intensity, back off on your entry speed, stop moving all over the ski, etc.. Your problem started before the tail pop and I don't think any fin or ski change will fix that. 

I changed a few skiing technique things this year and am now up 6 buoys on my practice average doing the same stupid things at -38 now that I did for years at -35. 

• Baller
7 hours ago, Horton said:

@Waternut what happens when your skis are set up much closer to stock? and how far from stock are your typical settings?

I made notes but after years of not looking at them it's hard to decipher exactly what was going on but it seems like the common problems I was looking to fix include the following:

On-side turns: Hook turns, breaking at the waist, too much angle (can't hang on), and too much rear leg effort required

Off-side turns: Can't turn, no angle, generally unstable, and unstable off the second wake

• Baller

I’m at your same level , and all of those same problems you mentioned happen to me when I get off the handle too early and don’t follow its path. Not trying to be rude , but if I stay connected and have correct hip orientation ( inside one advanced into turn ) my runs look  and feel great. If I get off the handle early , I end up with one or more of your same issues and it’s not pretty. Not saying an adjustment isn’t necessary , but ….