Good Side Vs Bad Side

Horton

• Baller
Isn't the Heel Side considered the "Good Side"?  I am RFF and 2-4 ball are my strong turns.  Toe Side has your back leg working against body; or across your body, however you want to look at it. 

• Baller

I am a little bit confused too. Anyway, my best side for the moment (it is changing over time) is the Off side/Bad side or.. Toe side? I am LFF and no 1 should be my On/Good or.. Heel side?

Tsixam

• Administrators

CRAP did I get it backwards? This is why I never liked the whole good side back side thing to start with. Just forget this thread ever happened.

• Baller

My turns are both pretty good now and I'd give the nod to my offside (toe side, formerly bad side, LLF) since going to a different ski.   My offside is just killer and I can now actually make up time at 4 ball which used to be the death of me.

• Baller_

JTH,

I don't agree with your thought that good / bad sides would swap.  IMO a skier is by body geometry going to be able to have one side be better than the other and style and technique can't change that, only minimize it.  Pure and simple, if you look at the ability to angle the ski relative to your hips, it will be much easier to do that by not crossing your legs.  The technique only serves to reduce the body's limitations to twist or rotate in the less favorable direction.

• Baller
I would say it is toe side of your back foot.  When I learned as a kid you really threw the ski around with that back foot and it was easier to drive with the toe of the back foot than the heel of the back foot.  For LFF that is obviously 1,3,5 good side and 2,4,6 for RFF.

• Baller
Because toeside and heelside are terms from skate, wake or snow boarding in which the feet are aligned differently it becomes confusing when the feet are lined up in the same direction as the edges.  So picture riding on a trick ski with your rear foot turned out.  I am LFF, if I were making a turn around 1,3,5 the ski would be on the edge closest to my rear heel this would also be my goodside.  When I make a turn around 2,4,6 I make the turn on the edge closest to my rear toes so this would be toeside but also my offside.

• Baller
I am able to stay pretty symmetrical on both sides. I am left foot forward. I started struggling with my offside turn a few years ago when I started going 36 miles per hour. What worked for me is turning my hips and shoulders so they are less open to the boat and more to the spot I am aiming for before the next buoy. It took me quite a while to get it right. I have not broken any records, but it has made me more consistent in all conditions. Because of the stance on the ski you have to make different adjustments for different sides. It helps to me mixed dominant too. I kick a soccer ball with my right foot, and I am left foot forward. I am right handed, but in the last few years I have been learning to write with my left hand too. I still use my onside turn to make up time if I make a mistake in the course.