Wing realation / Fin set-up

EF

• Baller

I'm on the A-1 with stock settings, which has the wing @ 9. I love the ski with these fin measurements, but feel 9 is a little much causing the ski to not finish as quickly as I like. so I went to 8, and the ski comes around better, but doesn't drop in as quick??? What should I try???

Thank you! /vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-cool.gif   

• Administrators

One degree of wing angle is a pretty small tweak. Lets talk about what a wing really does. As you add wing angle you are literally adding drag to the back of the ski. This drag slows the ski down some but more importantly it pulls the tip of the ski down as you approach the buoy.

With the tip down you have two effects:

1) the skis rocker is pulling the ski back toward the wakes

2) the additional wetted surface area adds drag in addition to the drag of the wing.

Too much wing will pull the ski back under you as you approach the ball and then the ski will turn hard and take too much angle.

Not enough wing will make it feel like the ski is too far out in front as you approach the ball and not want to arc back in as well past the apex. Feels like very cold water.

Here in SoCal a lot of 34 mph skiers do not use wings anymore. When I was at Matt Rini’s this spring he gave me a hard time about it. His thought is that a wing will engage the tip sooner and create a more arcing turn. I totally agree with that concept but it does not work for everyone.

In my case I push the ski too hard at the finish. I am not saying that it is a good thing but that is how I am wired. My experience is that many (not all) 34 mph skiers turn smoother without a wing. At 36 you have to have it.

• Baller

Thanks for your input Mr. Horton!

I know one degree is a small tweak, but when you ski on the A-1 you'll notice how sensitive the ski is to adustments! I even think it's more sensitive than my 9700 was. I tried Greg's settings that I saw on your site, with only 5 thou less in length and 5 thou less depth, and 8 degrees. it wasn't even close to the way the ski feels stock, I couldn't turn it, and much less stable. maybe I'm on the pipe, but that's what I felt!

I also live in the NW, and ski in water around 60-70 half of the year, so I have always liked a wing. I start out @ 22/ 34 then go to 22/ 36, maxing out @ 28'. so what can I do to have the tip stay down on the approach, with less wing? I was thinking more lenght or less DFT?

Thanks! /vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-cool.gif

• Administrators

If you call me "Mr." agian you will be banned faster then MS.

Lenght will bring down the tip on your toe side as well. Is differnent because it changes the total fin surface area. DFT will help on heel side but not you are messing with the basic balance of the ski. All adjustments are a trade off.

I should have an A1 to try this week. I will ride it bone stock a few rides and then tweak. I will let you know where I end up.

• Baller

At what point is the wing not doing anything. I'm down to 6 degrees and considering taking it off. I've dropped from 8 degrees and my F1 still turns great, but with less effort when I hookup. My next step after taking the wing off is buying a Prophecy.

• Baller_

If you have too much drag and think you need less angle, I would recommend staying at 9 deg and using a smaller and/or lower drag wing.  Schnitz has his mini-wings and Radar just came out with a low profile stanless wing.  Give Eddie Roberts a call.

IMO, the effect of the wing in the turn is much more important than the drag it provides.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Administrators
I largely agree with Bruce. drag pulls the tip of the ski down and with more ski in the lake everything works better. just go get the prophecy

A friend of mine dropped his ski the other day and bent one side of his wing up.  He said he could really notice a difference.  Has anyone ever tried a wing with different angles on either side of the fin.  Would this help one side of your turn or wake crossing?

just a thought

• Baller
I tried Schnitz's mini wing today for the first time on my RS1. Usually I run with no wing. Going from no wing to the mini wing did nothing but make the ski feel better.........the ski was more stable, it turned on a tighter radius, the tip was noticeably down, etc........ whereas going from no wing to the standard wing made it feel as if I was dragging a cinder block behind me. It did force me to move the bindings back to stock, rather than having them forward. Now this comparison was between the original Radar wing and not the new low profile stainless wing. The only downside was having to drill another hole in the fin since the screw hole centerlines are narrower on the Schnitz wing. I ended up giving the new radar low profile stainless wing to my buddy who's on a 9800SL and he likes it compared to the stock Goode wing.

• Baller
I am having issues with the tip of my Monza being too high coming out of both sides.  I added some tip to the fin but my understanding is that only impacts the offside.  Would adding some angle to the wing make a difference.  I am running 7* now.