Site outage and the Trojan

Horton

• Administrators

In case you missed it, hackers from Hong Kong broke my FTP password and put a Trojan on the site.

I am pretty sure that the Trojan was one that any basic anti-Virus would catch. In other words, I assume that no ones computer was hurt in this little fiasco. I pulled the site down just in case and paid way too much to have it restored from a back up that was a week old. Posts since 9/12/08 were all lost. I have also reset the password to one that would be MUCH harder to break.

As far as I can tell it is safe to talk skiing again.

• Administrators
I am pretty sure that anyone with Norton or McAfee is fine. I am using the new Google browser and it stopped it. The whole thing is just and annoyance and I have to be vigilant. Ran in to 39 both rides tonight so something is going right.

• Baller

I'm clueless when it comes to the motivation of a person spreading a virus.  Why would anyone take the time to put a virus in your site?  Is there some sore of financial gain that I don't know about?  Maybe it was a wakeboarder? 

• Administrators
It is a done with a automatic program that looks across the internet for sites to crack and then plant the virus. I think that virus then hits all PCs that visit the site and when one without virus protection comes by it plants itself. At that point it can do things like send spam from that PC.