How,s the Quattro Shaping Up

Stevie Boy

• Baller
Thanks Ed, I am ouzing with anticipation, I have my cheque book at the ready, just hope they give more guidance on weight /ski size , binding placement, settings etc. Just feel they have lacked in that department in the past. But this forum is great for sharing infomation, great people on here willing to help.

• Baller

A few comments -

The Quattro is currently only being produced in one size to support R&D.  As 41 off says, it is listed as a 66" in the O'Brien 2011 catalog.  The surface area (ski to water) of the 66" Quattro is slightly greater than the 67" Elite Alpha.

Adam has lent me a Quattro on a couple of more occasions, and I have also found the Quattro to be very predictable and very forgiving, and very easy to adapt to (binding and fin settings: 29.5", 6.845/2.495/0.70).  I am 190lbs (plus vest, wetsuit, etc.) and ski at 34mph.  However, before anyone gets the idea that the Quattro is a 34mph specific ski, I have heard that the O'Brien/Elite pro team members that have one are enjoying their time on it.  In my case, the Quattro is definitely the ski that I hope to riding on at the beginning of next season.

• Baller
Thanks for the info sixam675, I have been looking for a replacement for my 66" sixam 2,for some time now, I know there was a bit of an error with the sixam 2 as it was not supposed to be as wide as it was, think there was a mix up on the CAD side of things, but never the less, it turned out to be a good ski, that also had a larger surface area than the 67" sixam, I worked out the surface area of my 66" Sixam 2 and it had the same surface area as the 64" goode wideride, I am thinking that the 66" Quattro will be just what I am looking for, and the bonus is being able to bolt bindings to the ski in the normal fashion. I have my slot caliper at the ready. LOL

• Baller

"the Quattro is definitely the ski that I hope to riding on at the beginning of next season."

Me too...  if it comes out in time and a few guys down south get it sorted out.  Not sure I want to guinea pig what is likely to be a $2200 ski!  I think it's either that or the MidRide for next year.  Please keep us updated!

• Baller

I had another chance to ski on the Quattro recently.  Unfortunately, the wind had kicked up and our local course was virtually unskiable.  So, being a total "buoyhead", and desperate to ski, I did the unthinkable - I went freeskiing!

The following comments are taken from my ski log:

"Tried one pass in the course, but way too rough.  Found an area out of the wind and free skied.  Wow, that was fun!  The Quattro just gets so wide and then hooks up so smoothly that there never seems to be much load on the line."

Unfortunately, the boat is out of the water for the Winter.  I can't wait for Spring!

• Baller
Nice to see Glenn Campbell skiing so well after his achilles problem, it would still be nice to see video of the Quattro from the boat, not sure about all this ski cam thing, the only thing about it is, viewing the likes of Glenn and his superb Handle Control.

• Baller

Stevie Boy -

You can see some pictures of the Quattro in action at this web site:

http://www.photoreflect.com/store/ThumbPage.aspx?e=72901938&g=04KR0081C

The pictures are of Adam Cord at the Int League championships in October.  Adam admitted that the pictures of him getting way deep (lots of tip) in the turns were when he was experimenting with technique.  He was able to spend a couple of more weeks in Florida following the Int League tournament and he said that his technique, along with further fin tuning, really smoothed things out.  Bottom line, Adam now feels pretty comfortable running 38's on the Quattro.

• Baller

skiray -

Sorry, fixed the typo.  The last four digits should be 8C1C.

http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Thumbpage.aspx?e=72901938&g=04KR008C1C

Oh, and by the way, the video "O'Brien Elite Quattro POV", above, was taken with a GoPro camera mounted to Adam's ski.  As has been commented on, pretty smooth passes.  You can also see the same kind of smoothness reflected in the POV video of Glenn Campbell on the Quattro that was recently posted on the Elite web site.  

• Baller

Dang,

I wish I could just cut and paste, but I keep getting an error message when I try.

Try this one, instead.

http://www.photoreflect.com/store/ThumbPage.aspx?e=7290193&g=04KR008C1C

if that doesn't work, try the brute force way of getting there:

http://www.photoreflect.com/store/store.aspx?p=1515

Go down to "Recent Photos"

Click on "INT-US WATER SKI CHAMPIONSHIP"

Scroll down to "Cord" and click.

As you can see, a great number of skiers to select from, and lots of pictures to view.

• Baller
Another month goes by, still pretty quiet on the Quattro. I like the Goode wide ride/Mid ride but no way I am I dealing velco BS and Goode's breaking down, i.e. the Goode one year trade in program. The one where you just buy a new one every year.

• Baller

Yes, so far so good. Once it stops snowing I might get more water time.http://www.ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-cool.gif

I was having the tail blow out a couple times on the off side turn. Chad and I agreed to try moving boot forward a hole first,

Thanks

• Baller

Upon inquiry 02/22/2011; response:

Hi there,

Quattro won't be available till around early June.

Thanks,

Sirianna Troiani
Customer Service Representative
O’Brien Corporate Office
425-202-2134 Direct Line
425-202-2199 FAX

• Baller

Hi Brent, I think you will find there are no quattro,s to be had, I know that they moved there production from one source to another, this was several weeks ago,

how long does it take to get production up and running ? Looks like the answer is months.

• Baller

Man, I go to Florida to ski for a few days and look what happens...

It's true that production is moving, in about 10 days to be exact. This is not an overnight process, but it won't slow us down too much. Orders that have already been placed by dealers will be filled. We are currently not taking new orders at O'Brien for Quattros until everything is up and running and we are sure that there are no problems. The "June" date that Sirianna from customer service mentioned is for all three sizes. The first size (66) will be available much sooner, followed by the smaller size (64.5) and then the larger (67.5) in June.

I'll try to keep BOS posted if anything changes!

• Baller

If Adam is reading this, is there any news for us on the progress of the quattro, I was going to order one from an outlet that is offering it for sale, but my daughter is moving back to the UK very soon, I do not want to buy one and end up having it delivered to a vacant address, the outlet is claiming that the quattro would be drop shipped direct from the factory with in 14 days, Any Comments ?

Best regards Stevie Boy