MasterCraft signs exclusive deal with ilmor

MCskiFreak

• Baller
Penske is famous for his Business to Business relationships, so I'm surprised that it took this long for MC to start using Ilmor exclusively.  That said, I've worked in auto racing where we've seen Ilmor engines frequently and I've never heard an Arca or Baja team who used them complain.   

• Baller

"...Getting the impeller out is a no brainer."

That's a good thing for a lawyer!

Wanna buy foam noodles as sub bouys?/vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-wink.gif

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller
No, B2B within like-owned entities is never to make a less expensive product to the end user. It's generally used to increase scalability and lower cost to the company selling the products. And to ensure jobs for the company producing one of the products.  Ilmor has 250 people that between the MC deal and their new deal with GM on Indy racing are now ensured jobs. 

• Baller
I have talked to both MC dealers and MC mechanics on this.  Dealers say it's the best thing ever.  Mechanics not so sure.  I've heard that they idle rough, cough and spit.  Also that they are more difficult to work on in a number of ways, not just the impeller.  I believe the oil filter is on top, but the "catch" around it isn't sufficient to keep from making a mess.  Also some issues with the distributor, I believe, which is a design change from the Indmars.  Also, for reasons I can't explain, Ilmoor isn't horsepower rating the motors.  I asked and the dealer said they don't want to get into that game, and that Indmar and others all overstate their horsepower anyway.  All seems a bit odd, but I have to imagine that they get the bugs worked out and eventually it is as good an engine as the others out there.

They do list a power output its just listed as kilowatts. To convert to the number of horsepower, you just need to multiply the output in kilowatts by 1.341, this gives the horsepower. From what ive heard these motors are close as far as power output, but are supposed to have significantly more torque then the equivalent INmar motor.

Roughly 5 or so hp over Indmar.  And according to Indmar, they don't publish hp either, they let the dealers do it.  I know of at least one instance when an 08 MCX was dyno'd and came out around 39 horses shy of the published number (and that's not considering the exhaust tips they were using that year.

• Baller

HP rating certainly isn't everything, either.  Razor has the MCX in his boat, another buddy has the 6.0 Caddy in same hull.  The MCX feels significantly snappier despite lower HP rating...I can only conclude better torque curve in the MCX for both hole shot and accel to slalom speed.  I guess I didn't check to see the potential prop differences.

In the end, I can't think motor manufacturer changes are going to do much to advance the overall product.  Which motor is in any of the big 3 boats is about my last concern on the starting dock...all plenty strong.  If a change allowed for less cost that was then passed onto the consumer via lower price...then it would be worth it. 

• Baller

So in 2012, each of the big three will be using a different

company to marinze their respective motors. I am always a fan of competition,

so hopefully this will keep price competitive and improve features! I have only

had Indmar Motors though in my boats.

88 Mastercraft Powerslot 351 Carb

98 Moomba 350 Carb 310 HP

99 Mastercraft SportStar 350 EFI 310 HP

• Baller

Neither Indmar nor Ilmor rate the horsepower of their engines publicly. They give the dyno data to the boat manufacturer and they market the engine at the horsepower that they want within a range of +/- 10%.

This was verified by an Indmar emplyee that posts on the Mastercraft teamtalk site.