Horton's Strada Wrap Up

Horton

• Administrators

When I first got my Strada, I was not sure. I skied good but could not figure it out. Deep down I had doubts. Is that ski really all that great? I also found myself unable to describe the ski. For a guy who prides himself on reviewing skis this was uncomfortable. The Strada was really unlike anything I had ever ridden.

The Strada is an easy ski mount up and just go ski. I suspected it was a honeymoon ski. You know the ski, everyone loves for the first 5 sets but hates in a month. That turned out to be false.

I came to an analogy that I think is 90% true. Over the years, Porsche has made a number of high end versions of the 911. The rear wheel drive versions are known to be super-fast around a track if you are a very skilled driver but they are edgy and hard to drive. The four wheel drive versions are almost as fast but so easy to drive that that anyone can look like a pro driver. I think the Strada is the 4 wheel drive Porsche of slalom skis…. With one exception….. in this case the 2 wheel drive version is not faster. Like the 4 wheel drive 911, the Strada works better when the skier does all the right things but forgives a lot of bad habits.

So what is it like to ski on? How do I really describe it? I went back to the Promo video that Rossi and Rini did early in 2010. I cannot say it better then they said it. I am a believer. I will ride and review a bunch of skis this summer but if you do not know what you want and you do not have a stack of skis to demo, get a Strada. Unlike most high ends skis, it works for 39 off & beyond and for learning to run the course.

• Baller

Horton,

Since you seem to have a lot of experience on the Strada, I am curious if you can help me with something. I currently own a two/three year old Strada (I believe it was the last year of the white version). I will be upgrading soon but want to ensure I am getting my money's worth on the upgrade. Is there a noticeable difference between the new version of the Strada or is mainly just graphics and a new paint job? Your guidance is appreciated. I love the ski by the way, just want to ensure I give myself every advantage I can, as I need all I can get!

Regards

• Baller_

I know there is another thread on this but sence then has anyone ridden the Vice?? Same ski different core correct?? Material layup is the same?? Any comparisons out there? Wondering how much and what the difference feels like. Seeing the video @ Radar makes me like the idea of a bit more time at the finish of the turn without losing cross course speed. And the price. :-) Am I high jacking the thread?? Not intended.

JH, is there a Vice on your rack?? Would think that would be an easy review. "it skies like the Strada but......"

• Baller

Crap sorry, I meant to say RS-1 and not Strada. It was my understanding that the white RS-1 and the Strada were essentially the same ski. Maybe I'm incorrect on that. It is certainly not the silver topped Strada, but the white RS-1 (the last year of it). Was there a difference between these ski's or is it time for an upgrade? Thx in advance for all of your help. I am not itching to spend the money if its just a paint job, only if ther are real differences in the performance of the ski.

Regards

East Tx Skier,

I was on a MPD from the get go, having a Jobe MPD for a few months, and then the Radar MPD after that. I LOVED that ski!! I tried an A1 last year and hated it. I could run some passes, but felt like a 747 across course. Went back to my MPD after two weeks. Then went to Florida in January for Midwest AWSA winter meeting, and skied at McCormicks and tried out the Strada. I was hooked after two sets. I loved the MPD, but they finally fixed the few very minor things that I didn't like with the MPD. STRADA IS SWEET!!!!

• Administrators
Tiny bit. I have come to think that I have skied without a wing for so long that I am the wrong person to review the V. I did not feel much of anything with the mini. Again - I just think i am the wrong person to ask. Clearly a lot of skiers are CRAZY about it.

• Baller

Hey east texas skier - FWIW. Just for S&G's I put bindings back on my MPD at the end of last season for a couple of sets just to try to gauge the difference between it and the Strada. Felt just like coming home again. It's a bit different feel from the Strada but I skied just as well on my old MPD as I do on my Strada. I won't go back (although I did keep the MPD as a backup I'll likely never need...) but I wouldn't stress about it either if I had to. IMO if anything the Strada is even more user friendly than the MPD, which I think is a pretty damn user friendly high performance ski on its own. You'll be fine until you find a deal you can live with.

Ed