Setting up an intermediate ski.....

Jordan

• Baller

Hi Guys,

I just picked up a 64.5 inch O'Brien Siege for my daughter. Intermediate, just learning to cut with some oomph...she is very athletic, but really just getting into slalom.

Any ideas about setting this ski up?

Where to place the front binding? Ski didn't come with any paperwork or other info...Also, the fin is only adjustable backwards and forwards; any ideas for DFT? or does it really matter?

Thanks

• Baller_
Hmmm? I would think (could be totally wrong here) you would want to start her out with the binding (assuming inserts in the ski) centered or one or two holes forward. Quoate from Waterskis.com- "The first area to consider adjusting is the bindings. Most water ski companies generally set the bindings in the middle mounting location. Many beginners will find that a ski turns better with the bindings moved forward. If you are skiing at longer line lengths this is a good adjustment to try". Also- "We recommend that most skiers move the fin the same direction that they moved their bindings. By moving the fin forward it will make the ski feel smaller and turn faster. Moving the fin back will increase the amount of ski in the water and make the ski feel larger and more stable. When moving the fin forward/backward, 1/10 inch adjustments are a good increment". Don't think it has to be exact the first time. Try settings you think are good. Let her know that this is a trial period and it may take some time to adjust. Watch her, see what the ski is doing and get her feedback. Leave your questions open ended and be patient with her answers. Asking questions that elicit a yes or no answer will get you little insite. Number one thing is keeping it fun and light during the trial period. Side note: I modified an old ski for my daughter. It is working so well that she has rejected two other standard brand new Junior skies. Just not an exact science.

• Baller

There is definitely a shortage of information on setup for a ski like that. If you haven't already I would reach out to the dealer you bought it from or O'brien. Without that information I would take whatever binding your daughter is going to use and put the binding on the middle holes and watch how you daughter is balanced on the ski. I would look for the water to break somewhere under the front foot. If she is skiing open water or the slalom course at slow speeds you want to make sure she is balanced on the ski but the fin isn't as critical.

Settings for a 66" Sixam seem to be for the binding at 29.25. You could probably try 29 as a starting point. Further forward is probably better than farther back.