StarGazer - Manually lowering the baseline

Texas6

• Baller

You get setup with which one you want to change then push menu until it highlights the arrow on the upper right and then push up or down can't remember want to say up. Then push menu until it highlights the baseline rpm. Then up and down from there. Winter here have played with it in a couple months but that's my recollection.

• Baller

What problem is the current setting causing? I read in my Stargazer manual the crew weight setting affects the RPM the most before the entrance gate. I have the 2008 version with the paddlewheel and GPS, and have not installed any of the updates. I also used six magnets to calibrate it, but run it on single magnet mode.

I had the opposite problem when I was pulling a 150 pound+ skiers at 30-32 MPH. It would be a bit slow from the start gate to the third gate, and then from ball 3 to the exit it would accelerate and be at 36 MPH by the exit gate. I found a fix which was

set the crew weight setting 50 pounds over the actual crew weight, and set the throttle response to KX ++. I got perfect times after that. It only happened when I would pulling bigger skiers at 30 and 32 MPH.

Try dropping the crew weight setting before changing your baseline and see of that helps. You may save yourself some hassle.

• Baller
Fantastic advice, thank you all! The issue has been discussed here before, I was trying the advice of another baller to try and prevent a fast gate and one ball that won't go away. I'm literally running 36 at the gates on a 34mph pass. This causes the whole first segment to be fast, and then the system overcompensates for it by running 33'ish during the second segment. I understand the boat needs to be a little hot into the gates because the skier will pull it down, but mine is a bit beyond whats tolerable. I'll try both of these and see what happens

• Baller

Slalom Modes – To select among available modes within Slalom mode highlight ARROW KEY and press UP. When SLALOM is highlighted press DOWN to access different Slalom Modes.

To Manually Adjust Baselines – Must be in SLALOM CAL mode. Highlight ARROW KEY, press DOWN to access screen, MENU to scroll within screen. Scroll to the RPM settings, down arrow to lower.

IMO adjusting crew weight is of little help, despite what the manual states. Lowering the baseline rpm is the best way to adjust the gate-one ball speed.

• Baller

Lowering the baseline allows the system to lock on more quickly, which IMO is critical to getting the speed right at the entry gate, ESPECIALLY on a short setup. If it locks in late at a higher RPM it's still trying to settle down as you enter the course, if it came in hot it tends to adjust down too much as it enters. Then it realizes at the 3 ball that it's slow then accellerates like hell trying to make up the difference before the exit gate. Early lock in at a lower RPM allows it to be settled before you hit the entry gate, giving you an even speed throughout the pass. SG will "settle up" more quickly and easily than it will "settle down" so even if it locks in slightly slow it's a much easier adjustment upward for it to have to make than trying to settle back down to correct speed. This is the fix probably 95%+ of the time.

Forgot to mension the inverted tach setting thing too but you're all over that so (hopefully) you should be good to go.

Ed

• Baller
@ texas6...was also thinking of the inverted mode since this is known problem for some mechanical servo boats. Is this a new upgrade or have you always had the entry speed problem? New lake/shorter setup, new driver? I say new driver due to the fact on mechanical servo systems I've heard you can throttle up too fast past the set speed and system can't slow down fast enough before you enter the course. Basically you should not throttle too far past the beep? I assume you performed the baseline calibration in cal mode for your initial baseline? Post your current baseline, maybe someone else with your boat can trade info. My SG baselines are 3550 @ 36 mph and 3355 @ 34 mph, but I have a 2005 MC 197TT MCX DBW engine...

• Baller
Lower for all speeds, but the lower the speed the less you have to adjust in my experience. Generally speaking try to get it to lock in maybe 300 - 400 rpm below the operating rpm for each speed. Malibu (Indmar engine) seems to be one brand that generally seems to need to be switched to Inverted tach signal but I don't know if it's the engine or the brand/type of ECM that makes the difference. And as Mac correctly pointed out make sure not to overshoot the baseline on throttle up, locks in more quickly that way. Sometimes as Jam Man pointed out just switching the tach signal by itself will fix the issue. Try that first, then if necessary start lowering baselines.

• Baller
I will have to try the tach inverted setting in the spring on my Response. I can drive it and get it to settle properly but if you get someone who isn't careful about not overshooting the revs the speeds are nuts. I already lowered the baselines and it helped some but didn't solve the problem.