Trailer Surge Brakes Working?

Garn

• Baller

How can I tell if the surge brakes on my trailer are working? When I'm pulling the boat to the lake and I press oin the brakes, it feels as if I'm being pushed by the trailer more then I'm used to.

Thanks,

Garn

• Baller

@Garn - When you try to back up an incline (uphill) you should seriously feel the brakes if they are working. In fact, the trailer brakes should stop you dead -especially if they are disc brakes. You are smart to be suspicious if you feel "pushed" when trying to brake.

If they do not seem to be effective, you may just need to bleed the brakes, which is pretty easy to do. If your brakes are part of a UFP (Unique Functional Products), their web site has a number of very helpful files and videos - and their customer service has always been very good.

• Baller

To test your brakes effectiveness - Disconnect the wire harness (or just the Blue Wire) from your tow vehicle - then try reverse. If you move easily, there is a problem.

If so, first check your Brake fluid level.

If they are FTP read their manual - you can move fluid at the hitch end and then add some to the reservoir. This may solve the problem if they are just squishy.

If you do have to bleed them? NAPA has a magnetic bottle & tube that makes the process fast and easy - even if doing the job alone.

BTW - FTP make Stainless Steel disk brakes that are great particularly if you have to put your boat in saltwater............