HO "A3"

Zman

• Baller
It wasn't too long ago that Asher tied the world record....although it wasn't video verified. However, I bet he was skiing on the A3 or a prototype model of it. I'm just surprised there hasn't been more chatter about this ski. I'm certainly curious. As soon as Nats is over....I'm on the market. I've never skiied anything but an HO.....this may be the year the streak ends unless some awesome stuff comes out about this ski.

• Administrators
All I know is that Will has been working on the new ski for a long time. Lots of effort has gone into the A3. I guess I will review on in the spring.

• Baller

S2 was mainly a Graphics change....A3 has significant changes to the forebody and tip, from the A2..Graphics looked great on both.

The best looking ski there was the Reflex Hybrid. A work of art...Super polished out Carbon Graphite. A really stark contrast to the Nano 1's that all looked like blems.

• Baller

@jaredH2O the new boots look like Stradas but the liners don't come out they rely on bungee cords for the release. I am not sure what to think. I guess if the liner will eject through bungee cords your foot should also. I think the picture that Chuck posted had S2s, an A3 and a Triumph on it if I remember correctly.

I only remember seeing one A3 so it didn't seem like there were a lot of them around.

• Baller
@WIskier I talked to the guy at the HO booth some and he said there were shape changes including some changes to the tip and top of the ski that both lightened the ski up and help keep the tip down. He also said one of the design objectives was to increase carry out on the ski.

• Baller
Here's some intel from someone on the inner circle of HO: the A3 isn't close to being ready. Obviously, the goal is to make it better than the A2. But apparently, it's just not there yet. So if you're looking to make a switch NOW to a new ski, take the A3 off your list. I know they were taking pre-orders at Nationals, but you could end up waiting months on this one. I'm sure when it comes out though, it will be better than anything HO has ever put out......at least that's the goal.

• Administrators
This is a really smart thing for HO to do. They know that they are going to have a A3 for 2013 but want it to be prefect before they release it. Prototypes have been floating around for almost a year - maybe longer. Turns out getting a ski that is as good or better than everyone else's ski is really really hard and takes a long time. If you are a HO fan take a deep breath and let them finish.

On the subject of HO 2013, I was browsing some older waterski mags from this year and in that Bob LaPoint interview he mentioned a new ski they were working on that was a departure from what you'd expect and you could ski it in the course at 26 and have fun. It was in a section about opening up skiing to a wider audience.

Anybody know anything about this ski? Just planning ahead for either a ski for the wife or a kids version.

Thanks I figured it wasn't the S2 since it was already out and was an 'everyman' type of question so probably a little more of a price point ski. Found the freeride picture, wonder if it's just the same shape as the existing freerides/venture/etc or if there's a new one. Guess we'll see.

• Baller_

The CoX sl is the Superlite-X. name change and graphics change and nothing else. Have to say the S2, A3green just uglyfied the line up. The CoXsl (Superlite) and CoX got some much needed and good looking graphics updates. The CoutureX was better looking last year as well.

The new Apex boot is what intrigued me at the HO booth at Nats. The liner-less, base-less and weight-less (sooooo light) all make perfect sense. If my memory is correct, AM used to cut the plate out where his foot was so he could "feel" the ski on his foot. I'm not sure what kind of response you would get/feel from having nothing but some cushy rubber between your foot and the ski but I would love to try a pair. I think I could actually pull away from the hardshell addiction with these.

• Baller
Fundamental business question here: Why do all the ski companies wait until Nationals to announce new ski models? I get that scores for the subsequent season begin after nationals. But it seems it would make far more sense to announce in early March when everybody begins jones'ing to get out on the water. Most have laid off the water for a few months, with the exception of mainly Florida. What am I missing?