Sunset Lakes Manhattan IL

disland

• Baller
Looks tempting with the lots at $37,000, but with 189 lots, how do they only issue 15 boat licenses? Is that pretty much par for the course in these types of communities? I know they can't have 189 boats on the lake, but 15 is less than 10% of the people. Also, how do you build a lake community and not allow even one boat to be stored in view in a driveway?

• Baller

Those are also some of the lots I've been looking at, and I had similar concerns with XR6Hurricane. Would seem like the lots that are 37K are in the subdivision not on the lakes, when I went down and looked at them, only 7 lots were left on the lakes, in terms of boating access.

http://i46.tinypic.com/33lfrep.jpg

• Baller
The way I read it, it's 15 licenses total for both lakes and I count 65 waterfront lots. I guess you have to depend on getting along with your neighbors so they will pull you if you're not one of the lucky ones to get a permit. I wonder if the people who aren't waterfront even have a shot at a permit. Fee to be set by the developer, I wonder how much it is right now.

• Baller

I don't get this community. As a skier I would not want to live there without out having use of the lakes. It would pain me to sit there all day and watch people ski , while I'm stuck on shore hoping one of my nice neighbors may invite me alogn for a set. And as a non skier, why would you want to live waterfront and subject yourself to boat noise, and so on when you have no interest in skiing. Why not just live on paddle boat lake. Is there a shortage of nice communites in that area ?

I didn't read the HOA's but I would be concerned that the non skiers that live waterfront would eventually get tired of the skiing and try and petition to limit it. Just like the morons that move next to an airport and then get noise abatements put on the airport.

• Baller

There are 15 boat permits per lake, which is about equal to or a bit less than the avg for ski lake communities (at least the many I have visited over the years). In the year I've been here I've not waited any longer to ski than I did at LSF for 5 years.

There are currently only a few off waters homes built and about 1/3 of the on water lots have homes. Of those on the water that do not have boat rights, some are retirees and the others just do care about boats and skiing (there are people like that), they just want a nice neighborhood to live in. For the immediate area, this is one of the nicer neighborhoods.

• Baller
I have looked at homes on ski lakes, that have all sorts of restrictions, and have extra costs that work out expensive, on top of that the cost of a boat etc, is it not worth buying a nice property considerably cheaper, 20 - 30 minutes away from a ski school/lake and just book or turn up and pay for tows

• Baller

@mdl You wish, lol. What's up these days up there? In 2012 I had the buoys in (using your anchor line "finder") in the middle of March, and skiing it. I know that was a very mild winter year, not like this past winter. But, it's June!

Move south! We don't take our buoys out down here unless they need replacing. Room for your jump on our lake! We have a lot just for you!