Short Lake - New Nautique 200 Can Anybody Help

Stevie Boy

• Baller

Hi Guy,s ,we have just taken delivery of a brand new Nautique 200, but we are having problem, and we are having trouble getting information from Nautiques, the problem revolves around Zero Off, basically the boat is over gassing, and the dropping off between the pregates and the gate.

Some information we have suggest that all new Nautiques are dispatched with a 422 propeller, somebody has suggested that a 668 0r 654 propeller might solve the problem has anybody had experience with this, your input would be gratefully received.

• Baller

Thanks Guy,s we have just had email from Nautiques, stating exactly the same as you Guy,s swap over the GPS and remap, just for info though, they have confirmed, that we have the incorrect propeller, the 422 is a recreational prop which saves on gas, the prop you should use for towing tournament skiers is the 654, fortunately we have a spare 654in the boat shed.

Again many thanks.

• Baller_

Approved propellers for*Correct Craft Ski Nautique 200 New

PCM Excalibur 343 (5.7L)/1.258:1

AC 654 4 12.5 x 15 Nibral

AC 422 4 12.5 x 15.5 Nibral

AC 1458 3 13 x 14 Nibral

PCM ZR409 (6.0L)/1.258:1

PCM ZR450 (6.0L)/1.258:1

AC 422 4 12.5 x 15.5 Nibral

AC 668 4 12.5 x 15.5 Nibral

AC 654 4 12.5 x 15 Nibral

AC 1458 3 13 x 14 Nibral

• Baller

@Jody_Seal.....What would you recommend as the best prop for the 409 and why ?

My 2011 409 has the 654. I would say it gives a firm pull....Skied a 2013 409 with the 422 and the pull felt a little softer..I was surprised that the RPM for 34 MPH, was 3750 without a skier. That is almost identical to mine with the 654..I thought it would be less..My ski partners 2012 343 has a 422 and it is around 3400 at 34 without a skier.

• Baller_

@Ed_Johnson.., Right now most of the promo 6 liter boats are going out with the 422, 5.7 EX boats with a 654. Need to keep in mind elevation in your application. I have been running the optional 668 on most all the 6 liter boats I have had in my possession at sea level. Really have had very good skier and driver feed back with this set up. A number of 5.7 boats I know of have been running the 422 for quite a while also. Not quite sure it makes a whole lot of difference on 6 liter boats under 2000' between a 422 and a 668 as they are both the same pitch and diameter, 668 has a bit more blade cup then the 422.

• Baller

@Jim39off...It's not the engine , it's the prop...The 422 gives a slightly softer pull on either engine.... Both engines have adequate power, however, the 6L is unreal or overkill in power. It also runs smoother and has less vibration...The best pull I have had was Jack Daugherty's 2013 6L, with the 422...Did not have the dragster hole shot mine has with the 654 though.

I go along with the Beach Boys, "She's Real Fine, My 409."

• Baller

I guess the reason Nautiques told us that we should be running with a 654 prop, is because the lake is shallow and short, obviously the pitch on the 654 will give a bit more grunt out of the hole and accelerate quicker, the down side is more gas usage.

Gonna change the prop and swap the gps connections and remap in the next couple of days.

• Baller_

@Jim39off.

Yes a 6 liter after the first 60 feet will get right with the program and get a skier up to 55/58K very nicely. However here is where possible course entry or perceived boat issues arise. Many times a driver thinking that they have a short run in put the throttle to WOT and let the chips fall where they may! Not a good way of getting a skier started into the course on a short lake set up. These boats have a lot of available torque/HP to get their, some just need to back off and drive so as the boat does not over react to the WOT condition in such a quick set up. I see a lot of drivers over throttle and have a limited sense of where and how to engage the speed control.

• Baller

Just an update, we swapped the gps connections and fitted a 654 prop, the boat picks up really quickly and is easy to control the speed without over throttling, on speed well before the 55's it is a dream to drive and ski behind.

Many Thanks for info and advice.

• Baller
Because we were having problems, I didn't take much notice of the rpm, but with the 654 prop the boat gets speed very quickly and when you ski behind it, it picks you up nicely off the bouy, the boat is just there for you, I seem to have a much tighter line and the pull is smooth and positive, I use B2 setting

• Baller

Well, I thought ours was fixed. It's not. At the Cottonwood Record, it was acting up. Saturday evening I disconnected one puck and had zero satellites. Reconnected it and disconnected the other and had 9 satellites. So we've definitely got a bad puck. Trent took a set and everything was fine with the bad one disconnected. The next day skiers started complaining. The boat would accelerate up to it's set point, then it would drop the speed about half a boat length before the 55s, then accelerate up to the gate entry speed. Then at 3 ball it would get soft. Chad Scott and Joe Darwin were driving and they were mystified.

Jody, it's almost like it's got jump speed depression starting just before the 55s. It's not overshooting the speed. Going up to it, then backing off and coming back to it. The segment times are good. But the pull is way bad, especially at 34 now. It's a 5.7 with the integrated ZO. Maybe both pucks are bad and one is just less bad than the other. LOL. At last year's tournaments, 39s were dropping like flies behind our 2012. Nobody got past 4 ball behind our 2013 this time around and the Malibu was pulling all the 39s. I'll get with Ron Nace and Eric Carmen today and see what they think.