What ski for 32mph ?

BruceEmery

I will soon be graduating to M7 and a tournament speed of 32. I tried the new speed yesterday for the first time and man does it feel slow. Generating enough speed to reach the balls and have a good turn is problematic. I'm currently riding a Radar Senate C, 67" and weigh about 175. This ski has performed well at 34. But is there a ski that would be better suited for the slower speed?

• Baller
Would think a little wider ski at the tip and maybe the tail would be a little better. (if you wanted to stay with the same size) The other way you could do it is to get the same ski, just a little longer. Keep your current ski for backup or when you get the urge to ski at 34 mph again. Good luck!!

• Baller
Keep on using your current ski. Move the fin back to make it behave like a longer ski, or the other alternative keep the fin settings the same, but flatten out the wings by 1 or 2 degrees. Try that first and see if it works.

• Baller_
Have a buddy on a Senate C at 30mph. The ski has smoothed out his skiing tremendously. He does not seem to be sinking at all and he is heavier then you and on a 67. It may feel slow but that's plenty ski and from what I'm seeing from my buddy, an awsome one at that. Like the segestion of no wing and fin back.

• Baller
@BruceEmery, I went through the same thing this time last year. First what line length are you running at 34? This would seem to be insignificant, but it's more important than you would think. Here's how my skiing went last year. I'm about 160 soaking wet, and was averaging about 2-3 at 35 off at 34 on a 66" RCX. I went to 32 and, yes it seemed slow but I was able to run 35 within a few sets. Not every time, but about 30%. I even went as far as 2.5 at 38 once. This with no change to the ski. Oh, I tried all the things, fin change, no wing, etc. and went back to what I had at 34. Trust me, the slow feel will go away. All was good until I quit skiing from Oct until April. This year the magic was gone. I've only run 35 twice this season in practice, s**tpot full of 4.5 and 5's, and tournament best of 5 at 35 only once. Bottom line for now I'd stick with what you've got if you feel pretty good on it at 34. Again it depends on line length you're doing now. Tell me that and I may have informed advise for you.

• Baller

I am guessing here,,but wonder if you need to stay on the handle a little longer to keep your speed up. Speed is felt the most in the turns.

Things to get the front of the ski down will probably help as well.

I start at -25, then - 28 if I can ski back to back 25's, then -30, then -32 on occasion. While not skiing really short line, I do enjoy the speed at 34. Guess I'll just have to get used to going slower. Horton, would the Conquer or the HO Superlite be an alternative?

• Baller
UHHH, I'm kinda lost on your rope lengths. Do I understand that you run 32 off on occasion? What can you do at -35 after you run 32? i know you give it a try if you run 32. If you can run 32 off on your 67 Senate C at 34 I'd just stick with for the time being. It's wider than the skis most 32 off skiers are using already, so go with it!

Well, I tried 32mph again and skied -28, -30, and 5@-32. You definitely have to pull a bit longer and hold tension on the line after the edge change. Leon, I haven't even attempted -35 for quite some time. I haven't skied tournaments for a couple years, so have just been out there to have fun and not worry about buoy count. Maybe it's time to shorten the rope.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll probably keep plugging away with the Senate for now.