Lumbar support on vests?

Waternut

• Baller

Anyone use it? Notice any difference? Opinions?

Obviously, breaking at the waist is not good for the back but even when I'm really focusing on good technique, I notice that my back is a little tight. It's not a big deal and doesn't really stop me right now but if a little bit of protection will mean that it's "no big deal" for years to come, it may be worth it to me to switch.

• Baller

I used to ski with a supportive belt (weight belt) under my vest. perfski.com/Three-Event-Equipment/Accessories/Schiek-Back-Support.html

I had much greater success with weight workouts focusing on core strength, running and cycling.

I bought mine for jumping and tried it for about a season and wasn't sold on it. I would consider finding an old belt or a jumper who uses a belt and trying it before you buy. I found that I didn't like the extra bulk under my vest. I also felt that it limited movement too much for my liking. However, I know a few guys who ski with them and like them. I haven't skied with or even seen a supportive vest for some time now.

I still jump with it due to the impact of landing. It also adds a layer of protection when your skis aren't the first thing to hit the water.

• Baller
I've tried the belts and they helped a little. Only thing I have found that works is a power vest. Takes all the load off my back. Takes some getting used to to ski in. Really messes with my reach. But it is the only thing that allows me to ski without pain. May be more then what you need now, but if you ever get to that point it actually works. Stretching before and after skiing and heat. Sucks getting older.

• Baller
I have been using an O'neill Revenge with integrated lumbar. It's does make a difference but I feel it's more of a fatigue thing. I don't think it really protects me from a back injury but the strain does feel lower when wearing it versus a pull over type vest.

• Baller

Goode Powervest! It really does protect your back. Getting up is magically easy too.

It may cost a couple buoys in restricted movement. Weird pull for jumping - I don't recommend it for jumping.

As I healed, I switched to a jump suit with a back brace. That was pretty good too.

I loved the old Obrien Impulse vest with the built in back support.

Eric

• Baller

@jwr I took 2 sets in the PV. One was a one jump plop on a sore ankle plus the back issues at Regionals just to keep my qualifications. The other was at Nationals where I had my worst set ever. Crashed hard and it felt weird. The one scoring jump was extremely short. Perhaps with practice I might have figured it out but it wasn't any fun. A sling makes more sense. Still it allowed me to ski with a sore back.

Eric