Achilles Rupture Injury - road to recovery

BrettAndrews

I have recently suffered an Achilles Rupture injury whilst slalom skiing - 6th August 2013. I intend on documenting a diary of my recovery in the hope that it helps anyone that has the misfortune of suffering something similar. I will add to my diary as each week passes, or signif

• Baller

Commiserate.

Ruptured Left AT 2 cm below musculotendinous junction 8/5 striking newly placed GBB#6 with a lateral impact just in front of FB.

Good luck with your rehab. Read up, be smart; optimize your results.

My goal is to be doing drills by 11/01/2013

• Baller
Recover well peeps, I have high grade longitudinal partial tear, no surgery but been out of work since June 19th, should be back in the grind by sept 9th, you guys are surgical so work is cut out for you (no pun intended) but if there's partial tears out there heal em up right, read, and follow directions to t. These are not sprains that go away in a couple weeks, I am just now getting some kind of strength back so that's about 2 months, still sore. Good luck

• Baller

@BrettAndrews Sorry to hear about your tendon tear. Last summer there were about 7 or 8 of us on here following each other's progress and methods for the same injury. Like yours, mine was a clean, quick tear without pain - until I tried to pull my foot out of the boot.

If you wanna see the different methods our doctors and PT took, you can check the thread under subject "Achellies surgery" - I know spelling is off...lol

Good luck with rehab!

• Baller

@BrettAndrews - I too feel your pain, having gone through the same surgery/recovery several years ago. My injury came with a lot of pain, it felt like I got shot in the back of the leg.

Glad you are faithful with the rehab. I stopped going to PT a month after surgery because my insurance ran out, and now, 4 years later, I still have no strength in my calf, and walk more on my heel than my toes. Don't make my mistake.

Hang in there. Every day gets better then the previous one.

@brettandrews: What is the story behind the blood thinner? None of us Achilles veterans (me, my brother, and 2 of the 4 guys I own the boat with, and Uncle Butch) had the blood thinner after our surgery. Is it a precaution against post-op blood clots?

Yes - Blood thinner was precautionary for DVT (clots) - my injury / recovery all going well, I had my first ski on a single last Saturday, having had a disc ride and a ride on doubles a month earlier - just passed through five months since the incident - please refer to my updated diary attached

• Baller
I tore my Achilles Tendon in 1996 and it took 1 year before I really started skiing and about the 1/2 of the next season before I forgot it happened! Maybe the blood thinner will allow your tendon shrink faster! My Achilles took 2 years to get down to its normal size, it was 2x bigger for at least 2 seasons. But I never ever feel like it was an issue, full recovery