Strada fin settings request

cragginshred

• Baller

I plan to put a slot caliper to my 2012 fin tomorrow and am requesting both factory as well as suggested settings for a skier who is at -15

to -22 and just getting comfortable at 34 mph. I have Radar's contact info and will call today but thought I would ask here too.

Thanks!

• Baller

Sweet,.. thanks Chris! For context -this is a 66" 2012 Strada. I have been skiing the course for a little over a year and making really good progress! I am very comfortable at 32mph and making passes at 33mph. Skiing 3x a week and getting coaching I anticipate being semi solid at 34mph by the end of the month.

The off side leverage position and not getting on the tail at the finish of the turn has been problematic. With all this in mind what recommendations do you have for the fin?

@Joeprunc I have been told by two different folks at Radar that ALL their skis are designed to be used With the wing.

• Baller

Try the following:

28 3/4"

I recommend using a wing especially for everything above 30-32 mph. The wing does more than act like a brake. It keeps the ski from dumping over coming into the turn and it keeps the tail from blowing out at the finish of the turn.

Before moving around the fin take a look at some video. When are you coming back to the handle? Coming back early to the handle will do two things:

1) As you reach for the handle before your ski comes around you have to break at the waste or lean forward to get back to the handle. Thus breaking your stacked position, and making it very difficult to get back into position for the pull.

2) Your ski stops its turning path and begins to ski down course. Making it hard to finish the turn.

This is something that I've been working on very diligently. I try not to get back to the handle until the ski tip has crossed the rope. This is one of many things I'm working on, but when all goes right, it is like magic.

If you are patient coming back to the handle, but still having a hard time finishing the turn then I would try moving the fin. (I don't mean to step on anyones toes...sorry if it did, I just feel like the stock settings for skiers at our levels are usually the best, its usually something else that is causing issues).

Interesting with the wing, I was experiencing the tail starting to blow out on my offside turn....wing is back in and @9 deg, see how it goes tomorrow.

• Baller
I've been using my 2012 strada without the wing all year. I tried it a few times with the wing but couldn't get used to it. I definitely blow the tail out more than I like so the wing probably has a lot to do with that. It doesnt happen a lot but very interesting to hear Chris recommend a wing for speeds above 30-32. I never even thought about it like that. I'm about to change over to the 2013 strada so I'll try to put the wing on that ski and learn it.