When was the last time you changed your screws?

Horton

• Administrators

dc01ba9185014a8741d752cde4c65e.jpg

I went to the nut and bolt store today and stocked up. When ever I work on someones skis I always throw away any nasty screws. If you have ever had a bad screw wreck a ski you will never forget it.

• Baller

I was burned a few times by old screws or even holes getting stripped, and done for the day, so have been carrying extras in my Rubbermaid tub filled with ski junk for a long time. Have used this many times on my stuff and for others.

Not expensive and keeps stuff organized for quick access.

794fc40b8ec184abb1fc54985f2a86.jpg

• Baller

@AB -

I'll one up that - for common hardware sizes I have a bin for the hardware size, anytime I need hardware I add the extras to the bin. And if I ever buy a Tap or Die for that size, I put it in the bin with the correct size hardware.

But for waterskis there is one extra tool - called a bottoming tap.

http://www.kanabco.com/vms/Media/cutting_tools_hand_tapping/three_taps.jpg

Because it has no taper you can use it to clean up the inserts in the ski, take something like a small nail and check the depth of the insert's hole - then mark your tap with some tape so you don't go too deep.

• Members
Switched all of mine to flat head cap screws with an allen drive. I still check before each set but have not found a loose screw since and never have the pesky stripped drive. I also use a Wiha torque driver so I don't accidentally over tighten and strip the inserts.

• Baller

@bracemaker, I only have one to clean out threads on fin box. See second compartment down from top on left. Not a bad idea to have them ready for every fitting. I have busted off bolts in the fin box before, so lube them up a few times in season and chase the threads to clean up any oxidation.

• Administrators

@OTF I always hand tighten and really more like fingertip tighten. I would rather have a screw a little loose then over tightened.

Allen head screws are pain in the ass.