The Skinny on the 2014 D3 Quest & Two New Rockerblocks

SkiJay

• Baller
@SkiJay -i have no idea why so many people on this forum want to cheat inventors out of capitalizing on their great inventions but i read that the rocker block is patent pending and your shim idea may very well be a specific part of their claims. you prolly have a ski and a boat and a lake house you paid a zillion dollars for why not spend a couple bucks on the original invention?

• Baller

@mwetskier, I think most folks here are only talking about making a modification to a Ski of a Different Make. The Fin Block bolt Patterns are not uniform across all manufacturers. I'm sure those who own D3 skis will buy the RockerBlock... for they're D3 skis. As for me, I'm chin deep in HO product. Most of which I hardly ski on anymore.

The way I see it, if this D3 idea/innovation makes a tangible improvement in the ride of other manufacturers skis, I'm willing to bet future buyers will take this into account when looking for that Hot new ski!

• Baller

You know, what if you had a slightly flexible layer under the fin block and a small, locking bolt in a threaded insert through the center of the block? Turn the screw and flex the bottom layer slightly for rocker. Infinitely tunable, no need to have a stack of fin blocks.

@Wish, that's exactly what I did - progressively shorter pieces of tape making a sort of pyramid presuming the fin block is stiffer than the tail of the ski. It's an interesting concept to play with - for the last 7 or 8 years I've been using the same type of tape to adjust fins' alignment when needed and a little bit can make a difference.

• Baller
@mwetskier You've got me wrong. I'm a big supporter of originators. I even pay extra for Advil brand ibuprofen because they got there first. My comment, including the "dozens of dollars" of profit potential, was tongue in cheek. I hope D3 offers Rockerblocks for other brands in due course--but I'm not going to hold my breath.