I Still Like The Old Boats - Just Bought A 2004 LXi

ozski

• Baller

I've just purchased an 04 LXi (340 monsoon) with about 300 hours. Never owned a Malibu before and I'm really looking forward to taking delivery in a couple of weeks, probably the only negative is the fact that it runs perfect pass and not ZO. I've decided I can live with that. As much as I like skiing and training behind the 200's I think the LXi will be the perfect weekend boat for family time and free skiing. Questions for Lxi people.

How will the 2004 stack up against later model boats for shortline skiing -32 - 35?

The boat appears to be in perfect condition, is there anything I need to pay attention to on this model?

Is it worth upgrading the perfect pass to the latest version? Zbox etc

• Baller
I regularly ski behind an 04 LXI. I am not into -32 but for -15 and -22 it sure does the trick for me. I have skied a TXI and a Centurion at tourneys over ther past 2 summers and in my mind they were all comperable. Let's put it this way, I didn't find myself going "wow these new boats are so much better". That should say something because to my knowledge the TXI was supposed to have improved wakes back there where I ski. It is a great boat. I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

• Baller
IMO it's still the best Malibu they ever made and I drive and ski new ones every year. Drives like a smaller boat, skis very well (foots great, slaloms great, tricks great), has tons of room/seating/storage and classy, timeless looks. Only thing I don't like about it is the giant spaceship windshield but that's a minor gripe. You have nothing to worry about with this boat, it's fabulous.

• Baller

I've owned an '05 LXI for 6 years now and ski into deep 35 off behind it. IMO you're splitting atoms trying to determine the difference in wake size/softness/quality between this hull and competing tow boats, and the wake at shorter lines looks as good/better than it does at 28 - 35 off. We used it for 3 - 4 seasons to tow INT events here in Kansas and the lower end/lower speed/novice skiers all preferred my boat over whatever year new MC promo boat that was also pulling skiers. I love how well this boat tracks and skis, plus the roominess difference in the LXI and other open bow tow boats is night and day. I've had plenty of skiers who own other brand and/or different year boats ski and drive mine and all are positive on how good a ski boat it is. I can't think of an issue I've had with mine to date, been really problem free and I'm (I think) at 525 hours. You'll be quite happy with your new boat and it skis awesome with PPSG. Enjoy!

Cheers, Ed

• Baller

One issue I did have with it. It took a spell last season where all of a sudden it wouldn't fire up. Would crank just fine but wouldn't start to save your life. Was just hit-and-miss but was bugging the crap outta me. Finally figured out the problem was the Dead Man switch was going bad. I just bypassed it with a jumper on the back of the switch, no more problems. That has been the only issue to date.

Ed

• Baller

You have a proven drivetrain in a fantastic hull. An occasional one on any direct drive Malibu is the HDS box will leak. The HDS is a prop shaft vibration damping idea Malibu came up with. Basically there is a box around the prop shaft that fills with water from under the boat and supposedly helps quell prop shaft vibration. It's located directly behind the shaft log. I think they are pretty fool proof but occasionally you hear about one leaking.

Some say its easy to stuff the bow under a wave on that model but I never had any issues with driving a friends unless we were on a really big public lake and the queen marry passed by.

Other than that it's a great boat and congratulations on the purchase.

• Baller
@ozski single line would mean you have Digital Pro I think. An upgrade to SG is worth it plus Z-box if you want it. The SG upgrade with new gauge is around $800 for memory. Add about $500 for Z-box. I got mine from Cassell Marine in Windsor, NSW. Although I didn't get the Z-box. Easy to do yourself.