So I "lost" my ski vest............. Is it Camaro time?

SDNAH2OSKIER

While skiing at the river this weekend, we were towing some friends and they were using our gear. I wasnt quite on the ball and one of them took off on a jet ski wearing my vest. He then gave it to his son who disappeared down the river. Hours later I was informed he had LOST my vest WITH the key fob for the jet ski attached. I was angry not so much at the loss, but that we spent a day and a half on the water one vest short and risked a ticket and while we are all good swimmers on a relatively narrow river, its always a safety issue even if its small. So, I didnt want to break the news to my friend that it was an expensive vest, but is it time to get a Camaro?

I am 6'0" 200lbs and I do like some bouyancy in the vest. With my old one I could lay flat on my back with my ski straight up very comfortably.

We skiied Fri/sat/sun on our new to us 04' response, great boat!!!

• Baller
Is the Camaro USCG rated? Most comp type jackets are not. Whether or not you would get caught depends on you local water patrol. I know that is one of the things they check when they find a boatload of wake boarder kids since they seem to prefer the non uscg pullover stuff.

• Baller

Inland water ways and rivers are usually regulated by the state. I have not come across a state yet that will let you slide on having one USCG rated vest for each and every person on board. If is doesn't say "USCG Type..." or it's not readable then it's a fail.

When we vacationed in TN and KY lakes they all have signs at the launch ramp that gave the number of death for people with and with out a USGC approve vest. The USCG number was always zero. It made me really think about wearing a competition vest in anything more than 6 feet of water.

I would prefer a USCG, but there is no oversight on Mission Bay and while there is on teh Colorado river, I would be shocked if they actually looked to see if it was a USCG and furthermore, if I really liked the Camaro, I would buy a second one if for no other reason than to pass inspection.

I just was pulled over this weekend and noticed I was one short in the boat so I pulled out my comp vest and they never looked at the labels. I think it depends on the officers. I'm on a small lake in Canada and I doubt those guys know there are vests that aren't certified

@cusefan that would be typical of the river here. They are more interested in people drinking and I couldnt imagine them going to the trouble of seeing whether or not it was an approved vest. All said, I want/need the bouyancy so Camaro/Eagle might not be the best for me anyway. I was just annoyed we got caught one short, and not to be a prude, just dont want to get ticketed for something like that.