Why are Goode skis shorter than Radar, D3, and Ho

texasall6

• Administrators

Ski sizing is about marketing.

If a factory makes a new ski that is designed to work for skiers who are 175 to 195 lbs and skis at 34 mph they are going to call it a 67”. They might make one for skiers who weigh between 155 and 180 and call it a 66”. The actual length of the ski means crap. Skiers expect a ski of a specific “Size” to work for them. When a ski company thinks the size of a skis is between expected sizes then call it some inch and ½ or ¼. It is all about perception.

My point is 65”, 66”, 67”, or 68” are just labels. I am not saying it is a bad system but the physical length of the ski not really meaningful. If you got one of each size for a model of ski in some cases you would find that they are labeled in inch increments but the skis are not actually different in length by 1”.

I am 190 lbs with a PB of 2 @ 39 so I generally ride skis that the industry calls a 67”. In most cases these skis are just less than 7” wide in front of my front foot and my front binding go at 29.5” and 30”. The distance from the tip to tail means what?

I imagine the test team signs off in a final design for a ski and tells the CAD guy make the ski exactly like the last prototype and to lengthen or shorten the tip of the ski so it roughly fits the size they are going to call it.

In the case of Goode: Dave does everything different. He has his own charts. It shows that the size labels are arbitrary.

• Administrators

OMG

Since the actual length of a ski is arbitrary so is any gross square inch #. @scotchipman‌ you do understand that if I make the tip longer I also increase the square inches?

What about a Radar Vapor? If it did not have the window would I need a shorter one? Got to be 4 square inches there.

• Administrators

As always the best way to determine the proper ski to buy is manufacturer recommendation

Might be the smartest thing you have ever said