The Moment of Blowout

SkiJay

• Baller

This is an interesting capture of what your ankles go through during the split second it takes for your ski to blow out of the water. Check out how much the roll angle of the ski changes the instant the ski releases. BAM! Take THAT ankles!

It's interesting to see all the flexing and torquing the ski goes through too.

Blowout.gif

• Baller
the initial blowout is not as hard on the ankles as the subsequent impact that follows, as this two frame animation shows. thats how skier kill their ankles skipping off a buoy. when the ski re -enters the water after being air born is when the serious damage happens.

• Baller

Great pics. Those are the moments where ankles are quite often never the same. I agree with @‌mwetskier that the second impact is quite often worse than the first. Unfortunately I have broken my ankle twice and the first time was on the inital over turn and tip bite and the second time was on the second impact. Both offside.

Look at the flex of the tail of the ski in the second frame when the fin grabs!

I have been on the same ski for over 250 sets and have blown the tail once ever so thinking the fin is too small as @horton said.

In this case, what happened to the skier inurywise?

• Baller
It's interesting to see the flex of the ski just before it exits the water. I got on a helix a few months ago and I couldn't blow it out if I tried! On the fusion I was on before, I had to be careful about pushing on the ski or it would blow out, especially on my heelside turn. On the helix I can stomp the tail of the ski and it just turns into angle and shoots out of the turn like a bullet without even stopping! When I first got on it I had to dial down my skiing because I was turning way too hard and taking way too much speed in the ball. Once I started relaxing i picked up a full pass.