Anyone been snow skiing in Keystone or Breckenridge?

drewski32

• Baller
So I'm probably going snow skiing in Colorado next week. Usually we go to Utah and try to do it when the weather is better, and I know there hasn't been much snow up there lately. Apparently there has been some this week, though. However, the temperatures are supposed to have highs in the 40's and lows in the 20's next week. If anyone has been there recently, I'm wondering if anyone knows how the snow is up there?

• Baller

I have not been this year, but I would choose Keystone. Also Copper Mountain is kind of on the back side of Breckenridge and I prefer it.

Only an every year or two guy here though, so wait for the local knowledge.

• Baller

A friend of mine is in Vail right now and he said it has been dumping. Vail is close to Keystone and Breckenridge so I would expect they are getting some of the same snow.

I have only skied one day at Keystone but I enjoyed it. I have skied more at Copper and Vail and like both of those areas a lot.

• Baller
I will be in Vail next week myself. It looks like some snow will be coming in later in the week to freshen things up. If it is sunny and warm, the snow will set up overnight, so you will want to follow the sun as it softens the snow. As much as we all want freshies, a couple of warm days can be a lot of fun if you work the mountain correctly. Check in at ski patrol - those guys are like us ballers and love to talk about their mountain.

No clue where the best snow is now but in general Breckenridge is my least favorite resort. Maybe I was just doing the mountain wrong but I felt like I walked to more lifts than I skied too. Also know that it has become very popular for snow boarders. I don't snow board.

• Baller
Vail, BC, Copper, all good this week and as @Marco said, the southern mountains got dumped on. I've been at Steamboat this week and the top of the mountain has been outstanding (thanks Troy and Becky). Sunny in the forecast now, though, so it will likely transition to more of a spring feeling but the coverage is good. After thinking about getting the boat out a few weeks ago it's been a nice change.

• Baller

@scotchipman Is there a "hate your privileged ass" button for under your picture? We haven't gotten any snow this winter in California. You're just rubbing it in. @Chef23 and @Than_Bogan you both get one too for stealing all of our snow.

You can atone by inviting us to ski with you. Either on snow this winter or water after our lakes get shut down this summer. Hopefully we'll still have enough water to brew the fine San Diego brews to drown our sorrows (if @MS doesn't get it all first.)

Enjoy the conditions for us.

Eric

• Baller
@eleeski I haven't even been able to go ski my son broke his leg late last year and wasn't cleared until early Feb and then it was back to hockey. Maybe in March because we won't be on the water until May at this rate.

• Baller

Skied Breck in early Feb the day after they got 10". It was great. They've been getting snow ever since. My only complaint about Breck and Vail is the long lifts. It seemed like every run was 30% black and 70% blue/green. How about a shorter lift that just serviced the steeps. I hate burning my legs out cruising for a mile after a steep.

We didn't have to deal with the famous long lines at either Breck or Vail but did have to deal with them in the evenings when we ventured into town for dinner.

Check out http://www.onthesnow.com/ for information on conditions of all the resorts. Check out the epic ski forums to get first hand info on conditions. You can also read Eric's posts complaining about the conditions at Squaw. :)

• Baller

@Chef23 Sorry about your son. I hope he can shovel snow still. Bummer to miss the good snow skiing. HYPA unchecked for you.

@scotchipman If we don't get a miracle March in CA you might get some visitors. But didn't SLC have zero February snow? You guys were suffering too. Good for you getting some good stuff. I'm still jealous. Perhaps I can make it to visit you and earn a HYPA myself.

Or I could join @drewski32 at Breckenridge.

Or waterski at my lake (70F water and 80F air a few days ago).

Eric

Skied keystone late jan. it was thin snow. It has snowed pretty regular all feb. ( snowmobiling has been treemendous ) Looks like no new snow till the end of next week. Ski north face runs & snow should be good. South face runs in p.m. when snow gets soft.

@DaveD try a-basin palivachini, steep, moguls, trees. snow stays soft ( winter condition ) till may at least.

Still long way to go for ice out ( late april ) than have to wait for the wind to stop blowing. And it can still snow into july, & for some reason you people brag about fla. & ca.

• Baller
Nice. It's funny as I actually like the hard packed runs. Less chop at the end of the day and super fast in the morning. Nothing like screaming down a wide open run off the beaten path without the "fun police" out there telling everyone to slow down!