Two questions about Wakeye app and iPhone

MISkier

• Baller_

I have an old iPhone 4 (with iOS 7) that no longer has service activated. I'm trying to use it for my dedicated Wakeye camera. I have two questions:

1. The GPS does not seem to be working and, thus, Wakeye cannot automatically engage/disengage. I have made sure that the phone is not in Airplane mode and that WiFi and Cellular data are both disabled. From what I heard, the phone GPS should still eventually locate satellites and perform regular location/speed functions. It is not doing so. Has anyone had this issue and/or know what setting I might be missing?

2. I have not figured out how to upload the videos from the Wakeye storage location on the phone. I don't see that folder when connected to my computer (only the DCIM folder is mapped and those videos are not there). And, I don't see how to access that data when connected to iTunes. Does anybody know how to upload videos to a computer from the Wakeye location on an iPhone?

Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
You will need to upgrade to ios8 for the latest Wakeye app to work. Major changes to the ios8 operating system meant many apps had to be upgraded to work with it. Have you saved each video within the app? When saved it should appear in your photo library and then appear in a separate folder to then be downloaded to another computer.

• Baller_
The iPhone 4 won't upgrade to iOS 8. I did successfully get the latest Wakeye application to load on the phone and it works manually. It is saving the videos within the Wakeye application library location on the phone, but none of that seems to be visible to me from any other interface into the phone.

• Baller_
@Jibbo, I re-read your answer just now. I went back into the Wakeye application and saw the Save option. That saved the videos. Thank you. I still don't know how to get the GPS working, but I could use the phone in manual mode and at least access the videos.

• Baller
@Jibbo any update? FYI - I tried using my iPhone 4 today. While it seemed to worked, the video was very "jerky". I don't remember it being like that last year. iPhone 4 with iOS 7.1.2. Will try iPhone 6 this weekend.

• Baller_
@igkya, are you saying that you got an iPhone 4 to activate the Wakeye app with GPS? Did this phone have active service or was it an old phone, like mine, that was deactivated? When I try my phone, the GPS speed indicator in the Wakeye app just had that pinwheel spinning icon.

• Baller
@MISkier Now it's an old deactivated iPhone 4. Last season it was activated and I downloaded the wakeye app. Video worked great. Now, while the GPS speed indicator worked as expected, the video is very shaky/jerky, and not smooth.

• Baller_
@igkya, do you have any tips or specific settings that I need to use to get the GPS to work? In manual mode, the phone records fine with no shaking. Just need it to start/stop automatically.

• Baller
@MISkier - I hadn't used the phone since last Sept. I merely charged it and used it. Looking at settings now, It is set to auto, not manual. Try checking the speed you have set in the wakeye, i noticed the speed can be set between 5-299 mph which seemed a bit strange. I tried to video while I drove my vehicle... no shaking/jerking, so i'm thinking this was caused by the pylon mount (I'm using a Ski-Doc). I'll try again this weekend with both iPhone 4 and 6.

• Baller_

@igkya, I had the Wakeye setting at Auto and it didn't engage. The speed setting I used was 28 mph. But, when the phone is on and in the Wakeye app, the little icon doesn't show actual speed next to the km/h (as with the 55 in the top photo). It only shows the pinwheel spinning next to the km/h (as in the bottom photo). I took that to mean that the GPS is not active or calculating speed. Or, is it working and just not displaying speed (probably not)? So, I've been using it in manual mode.

h5q5m9y7mzyd.jpg

krmhxia95qlw.jpg

• Baller_

@igkya, one more question:

Which of the following settings do you have on and which are off?

Wi-Fi

Bluetooth

Cellular Data

I have all 3 off

• Baller_

@Jibbo, I noticed that the Wakeye app is not listed as one of the apps to use location services. Should it be listed? Could this be one of the reasons that the GPS is not working for Wakeye? I don't recall if I had to answer any installation questions regarding Wakeye accessing location services, but it's possible I would have denied that. Any ideas on what is wrong or how to fix it?

@igkya, does your phone show Wakeye as accessing location services? You'd find this in Settings and then Privacy.

• Baller_
Correction: I didn't go deep enough into the menu. I see Wakeye listed as an app that can use location services under the Photos category. If it should be somewhere else, too, I am not sure.

• Baller
@MISkier on iPhone 4, under privacy, location services (on), wakeye is set to on. Under privacy, photos, wakeye is set to on. Under privacy, microphone, wakeye is off. Looks like i have wakeye version 1.5

• Baller_

@igkya, the Wakeye app does not appear in my location services list under privacy, only the camera list and microphone list. That must be it. Also, I tested the GPS under Maps and it tracked me as I drove down the road. So, the GPS is operational in the phone.

@Jibbo, any idea how to get Wakeye in the list for location services? Reinstall?

• Baller_
So my Wakeye app was working flawlessly (iPhone 6) up till the last 4 sets out. Used to be I would turn the phone on and it would stay on for the entire set..Wakeye would record at speed and stop below speed but the phone would not shut off. Now it does record appropiatly but we have to turn the phone back on each time between passes as it shuts itself off at the drop point. No setting on the Wakeye app to change this that I can find. Any thoughts? Wakeye setting? Phone setting??

• Baller

Awesome app!

When my wife is a copilot in the boat I asked her to make few videos.

She always forgot to switch camera on.

Now I put wakeye app in automatic mode and tell - honey! do nothing, just look at me through Iphone.

End of session I have all what I supposed to get )))

• Baller_

@Jibbo

Great thanks.

Also, to open up options for iPad or (any device that can utilize your app) that has users without GPS, is it possible for the Wakeye to develop a decibel level trigger the way the speed works? The app already accesses the microphone.

• Baller
I'm with @Wish . Missed a couple sets on my iphone 6 this weekend. I was driving and the next I was skiing. I figured it out the next set when I was observing. Had to keep the phone on. Thought I kept having to htte AUTO every time. I don't think that turned out to be the case, the phone just had to be open each time. Please let us know when that update moves through.

• Baller_
@Jibbo (or anyone else), will the new version work with IOS 7 and did the GPS issue for IOS 7 ever get resolved in the newer version? That was really the question that started this whole thread.