2015 National Rankings

dtm

I've tried to get the current rankings for the "2015 Ski Year". The USA Waterski site gives this message:

"Ranking Recalculations are currently underway For the Ski Year requested. Please try your request again in a few minutes. We apologize for the temporary inconvenience."

-This message has been up for a few weeks. I can get the results for "The last 12 months", but don't think these would be applicable for the Regionals and Nationals. Anyone know where to find current standings. Thanks,

• Baller
@dtm rankings for Regionals and Nationals use the Last 12 months list. The 2015 ski year has not been functioning properly all year. @klindy might know more but I remember him saying there was a bug they have not been able to work out.

@mattp OK...That's how I understood it. The problem is that the standings for "The last 12 months" are not accurate for determining your position in this somewhat complex system that exists. Even if you do the math to determine your own buoy count, you can not determine where the bar exists for the different "levels". Am I wrong??

• Baller

Just look at the rolling 12 month with no filter (All, or for the whole country) and you don't have to do any math. Where you stand is pretty clear. The "bar" for the various levels is clearly defined. What specifically are you trying to determine with regard to your position?

For example if you just happened to have a rolling 12 month average of 98.33 in M3, you would be ranked 51 in a tie and be solidly in level 8. There would be about 20 skiers below you in level 8 with the 71st ranked guy holding an average of 95.33. Just saying, hypothetically, if you happened to fit that criteria.

@leonl I'm trying to determine whether or not it is wise, for me and some friends, to schedule to fly across the country and attend/ski at Regionals and Nationals. Not everyone (including me) is comfortably situated well above the current "bar" for the different levels. If I understand the "rolling 12 month" filter, there are going to be scores that may influence a skiers' ranking today, but won't be usable for qualification in this years' Regionals and Nationals. It seems to me, that for the same reasons, the "bar" could possibly move for the different levels.

• Baller
@dtm, you are correct in that the bar can change, however from week to week and one year to the next a given score holds pretty close to the position it occupies. I other words the bar doesn't change much. Now, if you have some scores from 11-12 months ago that are an aberration to your current averages, then you may fall, but the bar just won't move much between now and Nationals.

• Baller
@dtm, yes the bar can move as well as your ranking score. You can do your own math to determine what your ranking score will be on the qualifying cut-off date by excluding any scores that will be older than 12 months at that point. You can get an idea (but not an exact number) of the cut-off by looking at the 2014 ski year ranking list. In actuallity, the cutoffs for the 2014 ski year usually exceed the actual cutoff since many people prep to peak at Nationals.

• Baller
FWIW, the cut off score (last score in level 8) freezes and becomes "the official cutoff score" on July 16th of this year. Whatever it is on July 16th is what it will be to get into nationals. Get that score once from that date prior to the start of nationals and you are in.

@kelvin @jcamp .. thank you! Good information!

FWIW....In my opinion, this method of a floating, rolling, moving, system of ranking skiers into "levels" is not an encouraging method of qualifying new skiers for the larger events.

• Baller
@dtm agreed. Some regions, like the Eastern, set a certain qualification for their regionals (i.e. 2@28 for Men's 3) at the beginning of the year so people don't have to guess what they need to get it.