Velvet drive banging! HELP!

Monkstr6100

• Baller
So my velvet drive in my 2006 GTR gekko gave up at the end of tonight's ski session. The velvet drive is a 10-17 004. Serial 104054. When idling onto the trailer I slid into reverse and it started banging away all of a sudden. Then even noise for a second after putting in neutral? I shut it off in a hurry. I then started it in neutral once out of the water and the noise was still there but way less and the prop shaft was spinning slowly. Could this be just my dampener plate? Or is it clutch plates in the trans? Pulled the dip stick and couldn't see any shiney metal shavings. My partner can be very harsh with shifting to reverse while still moving forward. Will be pulling the trans in the next night or so but wanted some experts to weigh in first. Thanks guys in advance. Zach J.

• Baller
Based on the "KISS" theory (Keep It Simple Stupid) is it worth looking at both ends of the shaft, it could be possible that one of your bolts has migrated and making contact with something, hence the noise is not as bad when the shaft is rotating slower ?

• Baller
Is the banging going on at speeds above idle? Dampers are usually just a low speed issue. If the transmission is spinning when in neutral that's signs of a rebuild in your future, dirty neutrals typically get worse. I'd contact Fantastic Finish Marine.

• Baller
All four coupling bolts are in place and tight. Only ran it with the banging for a second and didn't want to put it back in the water to test more and risk causing more damage. Needless to say I was in less than a good mood and it was also already after sunset, public water people issues. I want to do the full rebuild, but with the holiday week upon us I know if I can get a new flex plate and that IS the issue I will just swap that for the time being to get back in the water. Thank you everyone for the input so far.

• Baller
I ordered the 1516 today. Great tech reps at skidim. He said he is not 100 percent sure this one will work as the black scorpion 5.7 has its own special one that sells for $568. So I hope this $100 one works as he was pretty sure it would. Talked to him for 10 min. Thanks guys and wish me luck.

• Baller
Update. So the damper plate did in fact fit. Was way different but fits and works. One of the springs in the old plate was loose and could see where the retainer for that one was broken. Now the thing is that it still makes some noise in neutral sometimes and at the very start of reverse. Only ran in the driveway XTAX20Hso far, and have seen where others had some chatter at first couple of times out but then it kinda broke in? Hope this is the case. Now I am going to change the drive fluid with new ATF.

• Baller
And some words of wisdom for anyone else planning to do this. Remove EVERYTHING that you think has ANY chance of being in the way. Come up with a way to raise and lower the back end of the engine right from the start. My engine house would not reach so I used the mast of the hoist to support my garage truss and then hooked a come a long to the truss and used the rear lifting eye on the engine. You can NOT get away with just removing the velvet drive. I had no idea of the size of this till I got it opened up. You need to also remove the bell housing. Re install took only 2 hours while the disassemble took about 4 or so hours. Hope this saves you guys a little time, all at my expense.