Mastercraft 190/ Carbed Engine Advice

h2o.skier85

So I'm planning to buy my first real ski boat and am considering a 1991 Mastercraft 190. I already know this is a great slalom hull but am hoping to learn more about the engine. The boat I’m looking at has a carbed Ford 351 and having never owned or dealt with a carbed engine I’m a little skeptical/have no idea what I’m doing. Does anyone have any advice as far as owning a carbed boat or any red flags to look out for when buying? Also, how have many of these engines held up over time? I really have no idea and will appreciate any thoughts/comments. Thanks in advance!

There a great engine I ski behind a 1981 MasterCraft still running strong. The only issue you will have is that over time the carb will have to be adjusted. Also a boat carb has two floats unlike a car carb. We have only had one issue with the carb sense 1981.

One tip is that if it cuts out when you hit the throttle its the carb and if that happens you can restart it and double pump the throttle and still ski.

The carb should not give you any issue, but if it does there pretty cheep to fix.

One other thing is every year you have to put a little gas in the carb to start it for the first time because the Holly carbs get dry from sitting over the winter.

• Supporting Member

Hi:

My 89' 190 runs great. 1 carb rebuild since new. Outside of that, normal maintenance stuff like spark plugs, impellers etc. We have owned since new and when amortized, have basically zero running costs in the boat.

My brother in laws 90' 190, with over 1,000 hours (90% salt) runs great. He has 2 carb rebuilds and has replaced the manifolds and risers. Other than that, normal stuff as above.

You might try some searches on Carb vs. Fuel Injected, as I remember a couple of nice discussions centered around performance/maint $, etc.

If you don't load down the boat, it will pull you out fine. Newer EFI boats (think mid 90's and newer) typically have over 300hp as standard. I'm 250lbs and get up behind a carb'd boat fine.

For $5K-$7k, you should get a nice boat with a trailer. Don't expect it to be perfect, but realize upholstery is cheap to replace. Get a boat with some service history or get a PPI done.

I have worked at a summer camp that has a 91' Prostar with the same engine. It has 2600 hours on it and sits for 10 months out of the year. To my knowledge the carb has never been rebuilt and in the 5 years I worked there has been no issues with it.

• Baller
I chose my 351 carb'd HO over the infamous GT40 because I know it only takes spark, fuel, and air to run, unlike EFI. when adjusted properly a carb will crank with just a slight bump of the key (once warm of course). My suggestion is if any point you start to have issues pointing towards the carb, just bite the bullet and buy a brand new marine 4160 from Jegs.

• Baller
The 91 should be fine. 92 and 93 were known to have troubles with the dual feed Holley. When our 92 started acting up at around 1,000 hours I replaced the dual feed with a new Holley single feed carb from SkiDim. Never had another issue. @east tx skier may be able to comment on the 93

• Baller

We ran an '82 in college with over 2000 hours and once we rebuilt the carb it was great. A few primes in neutral on cold start, hot start just turn the key. Same on my buddies '87. We ran that in the buoys from '02 until I bought my 196 in 2010. We free skied it 15 or so times this spring before the course was in and she ran great.

Given the option...sure I want the EFI. If not a properly maintained carb on a great hull as your first ski boat at a great price is no problem. If the rest checks out great...strongly consider.

Upholstery...can be cheap. Depends on what you consider cheap and how much needs replaced, how picky your are on match...ie) do it all if you want it all to match perfectly. Depends on what you want, how interested you are in appearance vs. simple functionality. My boats are personal...I like 'em to look perfect and function, too.

Thanks for all the great feedback! The boat has 600 hrs and looks to be pretty well taken care of. The interior looks great (no need to replace) but the hull is looks pretty average for it's age. Some minor oxidation but it would probably buff out. They're asking $9,000 but am not sure how reasonable that is. Anyways, here is a picture of the engine. I know that there were two different carbed Ford 351 options for this boat. A 240 hp option and a 285 hp option (351HO). Does anyone know if there is any defining characteristic between the two engines as far as identification? Just want to make sure I know what I'm looking at. Thanks again!

dhaq8gh6e8d0.png

• Baller

Given it's carb...and given my buddy Bob's '87 is the 240 hp variant...and given I like a stiff hole shot cuz it's easier on my back...and given my brother, Bob, and I have all run 38 off in a course behind his '87...I wouldn't sweat the difference of the 240 vs. 285 as a deal breaker. Now I think Bob is Powerslot tranny which makes a difference but his boat has plenty of getty-up on hole shot. His boat is well over 1K hours.

Bob's '87 has a fantastic wake, too, the issue in the pre-91's was serious spray in the face at short-line, especially in a headwind. The '91's added spray relief pockets which backed up the spray issues by a few rope lengths shorter.

Others can chime in...I'm thinking a '91 carb in good condition asking $9K I offer $8K and see what happens. Lots of fun in that boat, not too many hours. If interior is nice, and you think exterior buffs into nice it's a boat you surely could be proud to own. If you want to run buoys add perfect pass and granted you are longer than 35 off...no spray issue...fantastic wake...great boat for years to come. I'd say it's great first ski boat option.

• Baller
I think HO's made their way in '92 but I'm not certain. If you look at the vertical face of the head on the front of the engine and the rear also you can see 3 or 4 raised bars in the casting of the head about 3/4" long, that'll tell you it's an HO. You can also look at #1 cylinder hole and it'll either have GT or P stamped, that'll indicate HO as well but I'm not certain the latter casting was always used.

• Supporting Member
I have a 91 Mastercraft 240 horse. motor looks exactly like yours. Been a great boat about 1600 hours. All I've done is maintenance and a carb two years ago. Like Orlando76 said if any carb problems best to just replace. With the carb for the first start of the year make sure you have a good battery, It takes a bit more cranking to get the fuel up to the carb. The other issue is it needs to get warmed up a bit after first start of the day. Watched a lot of other boats go into "limp mode" for some silly thing or another running a whole day. Simple is good.