What Ever Happened To The Mid Ride !

Stevie Boy

• Baller

Looking at Water Ski Development, not so long ago, a lot of Big Dawgs were skiing on the Mid Ride, obviously other ski manufacturers didn't think it was the way to go.

So have a lot of those big Dawgs, gone away from the Mid Ride in favour of a more conventional ski, is the Mid Ride defunct ?

• Baller

The N1 and the N1XT are somewhat middish in their design being a little wider throughout the ski and shorter in length. The largest ski in the N1 family is 66.75. As @skiep indicated they do still make a mid in the XTM. No word on XTM Flextail yet but it wouldn't surprise me if it really takes hold.

I keep toying with getting another mid. I made a mistake selling mine.

• Baller

Actually, Ben is on a XTT. But yeah, Stevie, good question. I've ridden every Mid Goode flavor there has been and like them all. Took an XTM I had 1 week on to Nats.

I predict Dave will come out with a F.T.M. at some point, but that's alot of molds to keep up with.

• Baller
@gsm_peter I wouldn't consider the Senate Lithium a mid ride ski. It is a wider ski generally designed for slower speeds in the Senate case a 34 mph and under ski. The Goode Mid ride series was a wider profile ski that is skied at shorter lengths. I skied a 9960 mid in a 66" at 220 pounds or so. I ski a traditional ski like a Radar Vapor in 68".

• Baller

@Chef23 .. So are you on the New 2016 68" Vapor ?

You and I are the same weight...Talked to Chris at Nationals about the New 2016 and he suggested the new 69" for our weight, since the ski turned so well, the extra surface area would give better acceleration..Just wondering if you ever tried the 69" Vapor.

• Baller
@Ed_Johnson I am on the 2015 Blue Vapor. I would have liked to try a 69 but couldn't see getting both then selling one. I also plan to be a little lighter for next season and figured at 215 the 68 would be a better fit. I am only 6' tall so 230 is a little heavy. That said I find plenty of support on the 68 even running 32 mph which I have been doing some of as I try to come back from some back issues.

• Administrators
I think the categories have blurred and have lost meaning. Mid and Wide are just labels Goode used. The old mid shape is no longer very unique as many new skis are getting wider.

• Administrators
@Chef23 length is a false indicator. Shapes are changing. Some narrower tails, some wider tails, wider under feet, some....and so on...

• Administrators

The more I talk to guys that do ski design the more complicated it seems and the more confused I am. A couple of things I do know.

Typically a design project will be done by one or more designers who all ride the same size ski. They work to build that first size according to what feels best. The profile of the ski is perhaps the most critical design element. When they are done they have to ask themselves what size skier and what speed skier will like this ski best. If they think the ski will suit a 185 pound 34 mph skier like me they will call it a 67*. When the final CAD is done they will add or subtract from the tip of the ski to match what they called the ski. When they resize the ski for someone who weights maybe 20 pounds less they will CALL it a 66 and take an inch off the tip. Defining ski size by length is about consumer expectation – not about the actual surface area of the ski.

Personally I always look at stock front binding position, widest point and where the widest point is more than ski length.

A typical 67” ski has a stock binding position between 29.5” and 30”. When I hear that a ski has a stock binding setting over 30 I know it is either a big ski or is otherwise out of the norm.** This is not a foolproof way to judge the size when you consider that the Warp binding position is 28.5”. On the other hand the widest point on the Warp is way forward and is over 7".

*except a Goode

**D3s always spec bindings farther forward than most other skis – there is some other factor I assume.

Clear as mud?