Goode 9100

Mastercraft81SnS

• Baller

I have wanted to buy a Goode water ski for a few years. I saw this one for sale its an older one and its really cheep. I want to know if it was worth buying or not. I wont be able to ski on it tell the end of next year because I can only bring one ski with me. I free ski most of the time, but have started to ski on the course. Imost likely would use it as a back up ski or for days when its ruff out.

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Slalom&postid=34239

• Baller_

The 9100 is a great ski. A classic. I bought a couple from ski-it-again and had good luck with them. I've moved on to the 9500 and 9960, but a 9100 is a very solid performer.

You'll want to ask about the AMP rating of the ski and match it to your weight. I don't think there is a sizing chart on Goode's website anymore. So, just make sure your weight is relatively close to the AMP rating. For example, if you weigh 140 pounds and the ski is an AMP 220, then it is probably too stiff for you.

The only thing about older skis is that they sometimes lose their flex after many sets and, to some degree, passage of time. It's in Ohio, so maybe the sets are not that many, especially if it has been someone's back up ski and not their primary.

For $100, it's probably worth trying. Since you're just getting into the course, you probably won't be overskiing its potential right away. If I were looking for another ski on a budget, I would consider a 9100 in my size. Make sure it includes the fin, fin block, and wing. Ask questions about any flaws, delamination, etc.

What are you skiing on now?

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

Well....in those days, Goode skis didn't come with binding inserts. They used to recommend using machine screws directly into the ski.

Lots of people put their own inserts in....you can of course use Velcro.

So, at the end of the day, you can put anything on that ski.

• Baller_
The 9100 could be drilled for screws or inserts. So, unless it already has too many holes already (24 is the max), you can do it. Ask the current owner about existing hole pattern. It might match up to your bindings already. Looks like he also used Dual Lock, which you will need to remove.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
I am with MLskier in that the 9100 is a great ski, and at that price probably worth a try. I skiied on one for several years and I got it used- the more recent ones like the 9600 are lighter and the carbon fiber is thin so they do not hold screws as well as the old 9100. I had HO Animals on mine.

• Baller_
If you have always wanted a Goode ski, the 9100 is a fine choice for open water, the newer ones will probably provide better course performance chasing buoys. Looks like that one does have some inserts under the tape, I would ask what binding pattern. Inserts work on a 9100, I have used (2) with brass inserts JB Welded and they hold up decently (replace an insert on occasion). I also used HO Animal bindings on both 9100's. Probably the biggest thing with a Goode ski, keep it out of the sun.

• Baller

Thanks; I’m glad that I might be able to put my HO bindings on it. I found a few more skis and was wondering if they would be a good choice if this one doesn’t work out?

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Slalom&postid=32738

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Slalom&postid=34238

• Baller
I would stay away from the 9800 they seemed to have been a little fragile. I am a big fan of the mid shape and would be curious to know how much that 9900 mid had been skied. Given that it was a prototype for a top Big Dawg raises a question of how much life it has left. It is pretty cheap though.

• Baller
I enjoyed skiing my 9100 for years. Looks like one guy selling the 9100 for $100 and the 9800 for $200, and appear in good condition. I bet if you offered a lower price for both he might bite. To get two skis for under $300 would let you pick a favorite and a backup without too much invested.

• Baller

Since you are 6.2 and 180 that first link is out of the question.

You can not drill 9800 and 9900s at all. Also Mr DW as for a course ski the 9100 is still a candidate, esp for someone just getting into the course.

Here's a 9700 that seems to be drilled to sort of regular bindings:= the photo seems to indicate it has inserts which might be good:

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Slalom&postid=33190

My advice is get the 9100 and give it a go before the days get short and the water gets cold.