PVC vs PU Core weight difference

Dacon62

• Baller

Been lots of discussion lately about ski weight and difference in core material.

What does a PVC and a PU core weigh on say a 67" ski?

@eddie_roberts_jr , @savaiusini or anyone else?

And for us longer line (34 mph 15-28 off) skiers would a PU ski, assuming the same lay up with the only difference being the core, be a better choice?

• Baller

I just made a trip out to my garage on this very rainy day in Seattle... I don't have weights of the cores themselves, but the finished weight (with Standard fin) of a 67" CX is 5.52 lbs. The finished weight (with Syndicate fin) of a 67" Superlite CX is 4.59 lbs. As a reference point, the 67" V-Type R has a finished weight of 3.92 lbs...

Typically when manufacturers offer the same ski in two different core materials, they will not be laid-up the same. This is necessary to achieve not only certain flex patterns and performance characteristics, but also a target price point into the market. Generally PVC skis are known to have more snap and better rebound, but a good deal of this actually comes from the different layup of the ski.

Which is the better choice? Given your stated 34@15-28 (assuming 100% in the course), I'd still say PVC/Carbon layup ski is what you want to be on.

I hope this helps!

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations

• Baller
Right on! If you cruise the river and it is typically bumpy, the PU core is supposed to be more dampening so it may create a smoother ride. Ski the course on shorter line, you want the pvc core to recover quicker after flexing the ski in the turn.

• Baller

Foam comes in different strengths and densities. The properties differ as well. The designer must consider all aspects of all of the materials in the ski to design the desired performance and longevity. PVC vs PU is not a straightforward comparison. Additionally, other cores such as honeycomb, styrofoam, green foam or balsa can be used. Even coreless skis have been built. Light weight and good strength are possible with any of the materials.

As the consumer, don't focus on what type of core a ski has. Instead, demo the skis to see what fits you (and your budget) best.

Eric