Beach start tips for skier and driver

ScottC

Hi guys,

First post but have been on the forum for a while now picking up heaps of pointers on technique and skis. Have just ordered a new HO CX SL (I'm in Australia so couldn't support the sponsors sorry) based on the reviews etc on here.

Can anyone give some advice on teaching slalom ski beach starts? As the title says, any info for both the skier and boat driver would be appreciated. Stuff like handle position, ski direction - pointed at boat or slightly angled towards/away front foot side, front leg bent/straight, etc.

The biggest failure we are seeing is the skier being pulled over the front of the ski. Is this simply a matter of too much acceleration? We are skiing behind inboard boats running standard 350 chev direct drives.

It may be just a matter of perserverance and the old "once you do it once you've got it" - a bit like riding a bike - but one thing i am learning from this sport is that often a subtle change can make a big difference! Have only been skiing for 2 years but as it has been said on here before, it's an addiction and I am one happy addict as are my wife and kids B)

Cheers

Scott

• Baller

Some tips in no particular order

1) handle into the hips

2) boat rope skier all in a straight line as possible

3) always look up at top of Bimini

4) go deeper rather than shallower while learning

5) you can start on a tight rope with boat stationary

We don't we take an arm length of rope and hook over little finger, call in gear and let boat idle out, when the loop is pulled from the hand call hit it ( boat take of not much faster than a deep water start.

5) stand with ski tip out of water you can rest back of ski on ground while waiting lean back a bit

6) GLIDE do not step the boat will take you

• Baller

We take a loop of rope that is about belly button to feet and hold the line at that point while the boat gets ready. The boat then pulls the slack up to the loop.

Ensure the handle is at your hips, drop the slack and signal the boat to go. The driver should pull out the same as a deep water start. I watch the line and when it begins to lift off the water, which means it's about to pull, I look out above the boat, step forward with my ski foot and focus on balance with low centre of gravity.

• Baller

The couple of things I would add is make sure the skier steps into the water with the ski not hopping up on top of the water keeping the ski on an angle like you want it on a deep water start. Second thing is keep elbows in and shoulders back.

With the new boats you don't need much slack only 5-6 feet.

• Baller
@Edbrazil yes indeed. Growing up skiing on the southern New Jersey river, creeks and coves we beach started and stopped often. Most of the early rigs we skied behind were 13 to 16 ft outboards with 20 to 70 hp. In a few of these boats the spotter and driver would sit on the bow to help it plane off. Any decent ski with a rear toe piece will do. Stand on back foot in about high calf/low knee depth with the ski/front foot on top of the water. Have driver slowly pull away from beach. When about 5 feet +- of rope is left say Hit it!! Take two or three hops on your back foot then stand on front foot/ski and go. On the way back in make sure you leave enough room to glide to a gradual stop and smoothly step out of the ski into the beach. This was also long before any of us teens could buy a wetsuit so in spring and fall it helped quite a bit. A few of us wore windbreakers over our vest for a little warmth.

• Baller

My tips:

1. Much better to lean on a flat bottomed wooden ski. A really simple type ski for example one ski from wooden doubles with a fairly square or very square back is best . You can go slower and it is much easier to learn. Then when you get reliable switch over to your preferred ski.

2. Handle nailed into your belt. Do your best to hold it there. You won't be able to but trying hard helps a lot.

3. Make sure the rope is straight between you and the boat. Pull it tight before dropping the last few feet of slack in the water

4. Keep the back of your ski near the bottom of the lake and the tip up on top. If you hold the ski up in the air, you are going to smack it down on the water, sink the tip & go out the front

We had a discussion about this at the lake one windy day and videoed the results. Everybody did it differently. Those are the main themes.

• Baller

Here is some dry land practice you can do. Notice my careful throttle & perfect tracking :smiley:

My daughter's first ever slalom run aged 7. Dry start.

On a windy day we settled a discussion by having lots of different people do it their different way & videoing.

This video shows how to control the rope before you call go. Also notice that while the boat nearly pulls Karen's arms straight, she is fighting it.

This is how I do it. I hop while I wait. Many people find that easier than standing perfectly still. Also, I have loads of different drivers and it doesn't matter how slow they go, if I keep hopping eventually I won't have to touch the bottom any more and I'll be skiing. Notice that the speed is very slow. I'm on a wooden ski.

Three up fun

My girlfriend Sam had just learned to do pontoon starts and, in front of the other club on the lake, managed to ski away in a three up, tight bay, turning dry start. I was impressed.

Sam by herself learning. Notice how she pulled the rope straight before dropping it & how much slack. Not a lot of power either. By the way, it is even softer on a wooden ski

One more tip. I prefer wooden skis, not fat boy or really wide skis. I've seen too many people hurt their hamstrings on really wide skis. I've even tweaked my own on one. They still sink pretty deep but come up very fast. If you don't have a wooden ski, a basic fibreglass doubles ski is next best.

Hey its winter for many of you. Hope you enjoy the less serious vids.